Sunday, November 26, 2023

First finish for November................


I haven't tried to measure this Trip Around the World quilt or to pin it to my design wall yet.  I finished the hand stitching before noon yesterday.


I took some daylight close up shots of the fabrics.  They are all from the mid to late 1990s.






I was the buyer for the quilt shop I worked at.  When the salesmen came with the samples I would take them up to the front of the store and see where we needed fill in prints.




My Trip Around the World class was popular there and I taught it between 4 and 6 times a year for about 6 years. Therefore we sold a lot of fabric for that pattern, 16, 20 or 22 fabrics depending on the size quilt they were making.


I was always looking for prints that had movement in them, ones that wouldn't look flat and stop the flow of the values.

This one is somewhere around 86" x 106" which might have enough drop on the sides of the thick queen size mattresses that are popular right now.  It would definitely need a dust ruffle with it on a standard bed.  I don't like dust ruffles so I usually made the queen bed quilts oversized (96" x 106") so the drop covered the box spring and mattress.

I got the other huge quilt trimmed and started cutting the binding strips.  As I mentioned a few posts back, that binding will be done all by machine.

6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have never made that pattern. I guess one reason has always been deciding on all the fabric that goes into it.

Julierose said...

such a smashing quilt!! Love that brown border fabric(batik??) . I really am partial to the lighter batiks with subtle fern images and vines...
Nice work for a November finish, Wanda;)))
23 here this morning and we had lovely pink skies...partly clouded over now with rain in tonight's forecast...
Hugs, Julierose

JJM said...

I love this quilt, fabrics are so softly superb . Enjoyed seeing all the close up photo’s of the fabrics and quilting that went into it. And now onto the next one… anxiously await to see it in progress. I so enjoy your continual production you do every single day.

JJM

Patty said...

That has to feel so good that this quilt is finally done! I can’t wait to see the glamour shot.

Needled Mom said...

That’s really pretty. I love how the fabrics flow into one another. It reminds me a little of Marsha McCloskey’s blended quilts.

Vicki W said...

Part of me thinks that buying fabric for a shop would be a lot of fun but I also think it would be quite stressful. Clearly, you were great at it!