Friday, May 5, 2023

Searching for backings............


This is one (link: first photo) of the quilts I matched with batting pieces.  These are the 2 choices for backing.  Either one will work, I just need to make a choice and get it to the finish line.



The pink twisted Ribbon was the next one paired with a batting piece.  This is choice number one for the back.





Choice number 2 is my new Tula Pink elephant fabric.  I bought enough to use for borders cut lengthwise for a future quilt.  I have second thoughts whether it will work for that with the placement of the elephants.  The background is lavender but there is a lot of pink in the print too.


My sister-in-law gave me a gift certificate to one of our local nurseries.  Yesterday was the day to go in search of some new perennials.  I love Columbines and they had a great variety.  This one was my first choice.


This is the second Columbine that I got.  It is a little different purple color than the photo shows because purple is hard to photograph.  I hope to get them planted sometime this week.

On the way home I did one of my most hated tasks: pumping gas.  I drive very little so I only get 4 or 5 tanks of gas a year.  It seems like every time I go the pumps have something new on the screen that I have to figure out.


I could see the "golden hour" appoaching last night (see previous posts for more).  The Redbud on the left is a golden pink, and the one on the right is in the shadow of the other tree and wasn't affected; 2 totally different color trees.


Here is the tree on the left a few minutes later.








This is a close up of the tree on the right which was shaded from the sunlight.  They are both Redbud trees and look identical in normal light.





Then I looked at the tree across the street but the sun is slowly moving to new positions every day as we go toward summer and the sun doesn't hit it directly now.  I am so glad I got the wonderful photo a few days ago.


Here is the same tree as the sun was setting, totally green like the other trees in the neighborhood.







My 3 compact Burning Bushes are doing well as they enter their 3rd year along the south side of my  house.  This is the largest one.  I could trim some of the branches for a better shaped bush but I think I will wait until fall.

8 comments:

Julierose said...

Beautiful columbines--and those trees' change of color in that light -- just amazing. 48.5 this morning a bit warmer and partly sunny--but our breeze off the water is still very chilly...I hope your upcoming weekend is a good one hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

beautiful plants and beautiful quilts. I drive a lot less now then I used to and I agree the gas pumps do all vary from one to the next on how you use them. I do usually drive 2-3 times a week though to the near by town for various things.
I like the first pink you show for the backing of the pink quilt

Quiltdivajulie said...

I like the elephant print for the pink ribbons … so fun for a little girl’s quilt! My sister loved “essiphants”. Your golden hour photos are so interesting. And those columbines are gorgeous.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well, Wanda, it is all about color, isn't it? Wonderful photos that capture the flowers, trees and fabric. The eyesight is back, but I can't lean over yet and cut batting or backing, so longarming is still on the back burner.

JJM said...

I too love columbines and you found a blue one too ! I’ve been looking for a blue for years. Totally a grand array of photos today, and such a treat to see them all.

JJM

Barbara Anne said...

I love the choices you've made for backing fabrics and hope the single best one you'll be happy with for years will wink at you for the quilts where you have 'choice 1 or choice 2'.

Wonderful use of your gift certificate at the garden center!

Hugs!

Nancy J said...

Beautiful elephant fabric, and the Redbud trees, how magical to see them as the light shines and fades.

Patty said...

Every picture was joyous color! The columbines are so pretty.