Saturday, May 27, 2023

7 x 9 or 7 x 8 layout?.......................


My original intention for this quilt was a 7 x 9 layout, 63" x 81".  I would need to make 11 more blocks to finish that layout.  But then I thought maybe 7 x 8 would be OK.







I moved the 3 bottom row blocks up into the mix to simulate the 7 x 8 layout, 63" x 72", and I would only need to make 4 more blocks for that.  This is not a final layout of the blocks, just getting them all up on the wall to see what value range the final blocks need to be.  A little less than half of the blocks are novelty/conversation prints and some are one way designs.


Yesterday morning I was out watering plants since we haven't had much rain this month.  The sun was shining, the sky so blue and I thought my garden was worthy of a photo shoot.  This is the view from the driveway right in front of the garage.






The section next to the porch is really filled in, almost too much.  I removed half of one of the cranesbill plants last year and it is still as big as the other one.





I'm pretty unhappy with the low growing Sedum at the bottom right.  It was green when I bought it and it turns yellowish over the winter.  Last year I think it greened up again in the spring but this year it has the ugly winter color still on it.  The low growing Sedum to its left would probably fill in all across the front of the bed if I remove the green one.  I have another one of these in the middle section so if I remove one, the other one has to go too.

I mowed the front yard yesterday afternoon.  I am cutting it higher than last year and it is looking better.  One source said if you leave the grass taller it will fill in more and choke out some of the weeds.  That's what I'm hoping for.

13 comments:

DianeN said...

Your home and landscaping look beautiful.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I had not heard that about longer grass but I guess that makes sense. For your garden I think you might be right about removing the yellowish plant seeing as it is not turning green. We had so much rain in the winter and early spring and now it is slacking off already and no rain for the whole week the weatherman said.

Julierose said...

Your gardens are looking beautiful!!
Such a pretty mix of star blocks...;))
60 here this morning and rising fast...nice and sunny if still some
cool breezes wafting around...hugs Julierose

Barbara Anne said...

I think 7x8 will be a nice size for your star quilt. Might you add a border?

Your front yard looks so pretty!

Hugs!

Kristin said...

Your gardens look great!

pbj fiber marietta said...

Your new garden area in front looks great! It was a wonderful idea to design it with "pathways" so you can get in there and work on it. You are always inspiring us! Thanks for sharing.

Nancy J said...

Your front garden area is stunning, and you amaze me at the amount of work you do !!! Quilting, up and down the stairs, lawns and so much more. I like the lower layout the best.

JJM said...

Front garden photo taken from garage is absolutely gorgeous. Looks like one of your quilts gracing the front of your house.

Backgrounds for stars are so unique and fun.

JJM

Danice G said...

Beautiful garden. I think either quilt layout will look nice. The idea of adding a border would be good also.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Your quilt is looking great. I love how bright and colourful it is.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well, everything is filling in wonderfully. You can change up that sedum. Maybe someone will trade you. I have plenty to give you, just not close enough. Love the blocks and ideas in the layout.

Quiltdivajulie said...

That photo of the new beds in front of your house (including the pots on your steps) is really wonderful. Your layout/design works SO well.

Cathy said...

Your yard and garden beds look beautiful, Wanda! Yeah, I’d remove that yellow-green sedum too.