Sunday, May 28, 2023

Pink.................


Pink Twisted Ribbons baby quilt is finished.  This one was quite a challenge in the layout with rights and left, right side up and upside down, 4 different configurations to figure out which one went where  and then to not have the same fabric next to itself.  I like a good brain teaser now and then.  It is approximately 35" x 48".



The backing is a juvenile design batik and I'm glad I finally used some of it.  I have enough for another backing (or two).  I must have gotten it on sale, way back about 20 years ago.

The batting is Hobbs 80/20 and the top thread is Superior So Fine 50 weight and bobbin thread is Superior Bottom Line.



The binding fabric is in the piecing of the top also.  I did the binding all by machine, using a narrow zigzag to stitch the final edge on the right side of the quilt.





I know this Dianthus doesn't look pink here but it is about the color of some of the darker pinks in the quilt.  This was an annual but continues to come up every year.  Don't look too close or you will see lots of weeds and grass where it doesn't belong.  I need to get out there a little every day and get the edge of the flower bed cleaned up.  There is a rock edging and it is totally hidden by Creeping Charlie and grass.


This is part of the flower bed on the other side of my front porch (not the new part I showed yesterday).  The red flower is a Perennial Dianthus, behind it are 2 Peony plants and behind them, the Annabelle Hydrangea with buds just starting.  Next to the Dianthus on the right are 2 varieties of Cranesbill.  At the far left is a lime Coral Bell with a burgundy Columbine behind it. There is a volunteer tree between the Hydrangea and the porch so I need to cut it down.  To the left of what is in this photo are 3 Sedums and the 2 new Columbines.

I still have 2 or 3 pots to plant, ones that I intended to do every day last week.  I have to do them today.

16 comments:

Pam said...

Congratulations on the finish. I do like the twisted ribbons.
There is always something to do in a yard.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is a nice design on that quilt. I still have some pieces of fabric bought on sale many years ago and one day I will use for something and it will be perfect. Each time I go out to the gardens I am stopping to pull out volunteer trees - the wind must have really had a time of it in the spring blowing ash tree seeds all over the place because I am literally pulling up 50 plants or more almost every day when I got looking around the yard they are every where - I know some will die on their own but I keep pulling them up anyway.

Barb said...

I love that quilt, some baby is going to be very lucky to get it.

Nann said...

Hooray for a fine finish!

Julierose said...

Pink pink--I love this pink one, Wanda--;)))
Sunny and warmer this morning--started out at 60 early on and now up to 66 at 9:45--
We do some deck sitting this afternoon after the Monaco Grand Prix is over...
hugs, Julierose

Marie said...

I really like the way that you have set these blocks Wanda. And who doesn't love a good brain teaser? Seeing your gardens makes me think that I need to get to the garden centre and get my herb garden and planters finished up.

Mary said...

Well, you certainly had a brain teaser with this project. I love it. I've often wondered why grass grows so much better in flower beds than the lawn.

Barbara Anne said...

What a wonderful quilt you've made and the backing and binding fabrics for Twisted Ribbons are perfect for it.

Your many flowers and flowering shrubs are a delight!

Hugs!

JJM said...

Pink twisted ribbons = a darling baby girl wrapped up in this one. It has been created for one special little baby girl. Her mom will treasure it and hopefully keep it for baby’s baby girl.

JJM

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

What a PRETTY quilt!! A good brain teaser for sure - ;))

Linda Swanekamp said...

I am glad you beat the brain teaser. It looks wonderful, ribbon fresh.

Robin said...

Love the color of pink in you new little quilt. I can see why it probably took longer to make sure the colors and shapes were in the perfect order. That pink is delicious!

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a happy, happy finish - some baby girl is going to be VERY lucky.

Jocelyn said...

Well it turned out beautifully!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Super little pink quit, and such an interesting design. I'm sure it'll be much loved.

Vicki W said...

You have been very busy the week I was away! The pink quilt is so cute and I love the collection of friendship star blocks.