Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Free day..........


The first day of the month is a free day after meeting my quota of finishes the night before.  I just wander around and look through things, dream of new projects, explore pieces and parts in storage boxes.

While the daylight was bright I got a good photo of the pink elephant fabric by Tula Pink.  It is such a happy fabric.


I found a stack of chisel pieces sewn into pairs so I tried a few of them up on the design wall to see what they want to become.  I think after sewing this together it will go into the batik orphan block box.






I also found a bunch of Kaffe scraps that are sewn into strips, all different lengths and widths. They went right back into the box.









Late in the afternoon the sun was out and there was a shaft of sunlight hitting all of the trees east of me.  It is spring leaves and it looks like fall.





I could see the tops of trees about a block away that were also this color.  I know there are theories of how we see color and why we see the colors we do.  I thought this was an amazing phenomenon, something I had never seen before, fall color in spring all caused by a shaft of sunlight just before sunset.

14 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Wow,the trees look like an ombre of gold and green! Such a cool phenomenom. Lots of dark clouds and rain here.

Julierose said...

Amazing tree colors in the shafts of the setting sun!! What a treat for the eyes.
52 here this morning and partly sunny--no golden tree scenes here--just that new Spring green budding out hugs, Julierose

Mary said...

What fun exploring your treasure boxes. When I first scrolled through this post I wondered why you were showing fall pictures.

Quiltdivajulie said...

You are so right about that elephant fabric! And how curious to see the golden fall look to early spring greens . . . your photos captured the moment(s) well.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

yes the sun hits the tree just so and it looks like fall. Sometimes we need a day of just looking through our bits and pieces and decide where we are in things does a project get moved forward or will it still be in time out. When I get done with Hunters Star I need to look through my starts again and decide which next to move to the finish line

Nann said...

After several overcast days it was nice to have some sunset sunshine! Funny how units and blocks come to light even when we think everything's been accounted for.

Pam said...

Curious about what you will do with the elephant fabric. My pink will be the backing on Elephant Abstractions that I am making for my elephant loving daughter. I also got the blue colorway, just in case.
The trees do like autumn. Have a wonderful day. Hugs

Kara Kwilts said...

They don't call it the "Golden Hour" for nothing. I believe it has something to do with the angle the light is hitting the atmosphere. It is a very flattering light, it also seems to make things very clear. I really like that Tula elephant fabric.:) Kara

piecefulwendy said...

We are staying at a B&B in northwest Minnesota, and I noticed the pretty sunset last night as well - it was coming across a grove of trees and it looked so golden and pretty. Free days are fun, to nose around and see what strikes the fancy. You have some good ideas flowing!

helenreimers said...

Love the pink elephants. Can't wait to see what they become

JJM said...

You deserve a day like yesterday, and should do it more often. And yet you posted a blog for us to see…. Fun elephant fabric and to see your boxes of pieces you put back on the shelf.

You captured the beautiful golden glow in your tree photo. Kara’s comment was so interesting and fascinating about the ‘Golden Hour’, I had never heard of it before. We learn something every day don’t we.

JJM

Anonymous said...

Here is a good explanation for the "golden hour" - https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/golden-hour.html

Liz

Barbara Anne said...

Love your idea to have a 'free' day and I enjoyed reading how you put the day to good use!

Those do look like autumn trees in the sunshine!

Hugs!

Agile Jack said...

I think that a big part of what makes us the quilters and creative people we are is that we just see things differently! I love seeing things like your trees in the evening light. I notice stuff like that all the time. It's so fabulous to see something surprising.

I noticed that the trunk of a redwood tree on the golf course along my evening walk was lit up by the low light of the setting sun... everything around it was in shade and that trunk just glowed. It was so amazing. A lot of people would have walked right by it an not noticed it.

It's wonderful to see things like this that give us such an emotional response!