Saturday, May 13, 2023

Starting to make blocks.............


There are 2 kinds of half rectangle blocks, facing left and facing right.  I sorted them into 2 piles to make my choices faster.






I decided to make 4 patch blocks and then decide their arrangement on the design wall.  Since all of the colors are repeated often it will be a challenge to not get 2 alike next to each other.










There are 12 blocks sewn so far, 36 more to make.  I thought maybe I should make 2 baby quilts from the blocks instead of a 48" x 72" throw quilt but I'm liking it better than I thought I would and I'm back to the plan of a throw quilt.  I might consider a border on it too.







The Weigela bush with pink flowers is just starting to bloom.  They are not a nice neatly shaped bush but oh so pretty when it is in full bloom.





There are hundreds of little trumpet shaped flowers.


 

10 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love your blocks, and this layout. Very pretty and soft colors, it's going to be a lovely throw quilt! The perfect one to remember Summer time during the cold Winter's evenings ;)

Julierose said...

I really like how the rectangles are looking, too. they will make a lovely throw quilt;)))
I'll bet the hummingbirds love those trumpet flowers a lot!!
You must get visitors;))
69 degrees at 6 am here!! Very warm for May...hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the blocks are nice and soft looking. it will be good as baby or throw size. Babies grow so fast I used to make baby quilts a little bigger than some do so they would be used longer.

Becky said...

OH, your little yellow rosebud print brings back memories. I made a dress with lavender ones when I was in Junior High - a long time ago. I've run across it several times in old quilts and charm squares donated to the guild. It certainly has won the test of time for longevity. I love this little diamond shape in the soft colors - I call the ice cream colors. It will be beautiful whether a throw or baby quilts.

JJM said...

Fabrics and pattern ~ you always create the best designs for your quilt tops, big or small this one is a spring show piece.

And your Weigela bush is beautiful..

JJM

Barbara Anne said...

We may have to consider a Weigela to plant here as yours is lovely.

This is going to be such a sweet quilt no matter which size you choose to make. In the second diamond row, you might want to separate the two diamonds on the left that both have the sliced branch fabric in them.

Hugs!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your color palette is looking really good. Happy that you are liking it enough to make the larger lap quilt for yourself. And what a gorgeous blooming bush!

Cathy said...

I have a difficult time working with pastels. I can't seem to stick with only pastels and before long brights seem to creep in. Evidently you don't have that problem. You are going to have a lovely throw.I always think of pastels as rather romantic looking in a quilt.

I used to have a weigela. Straight line wind storm uprooted it and a viburnum one year and tore them up. They are beautiful shrubs.

Warm Quilts said...

I'm generally drawn to brighter patterns but the softness of the pastels is beautiful!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I'm loving the play of pastel colour in these, delightful selection of fabrics!