Saturday, May 20, 2023

Mindless sewing....again..........


I have been working on a project to move some of my fabric up to the main level of my house.  I don't like to be in the basement at night.  I have a huge amount of studio space counting the basement but I wish all of my space was in one area instead of two.  I made many trips up and down the stairs yesterday.

I didn't have any project ready to sew so I grabbed the 1.5" strips that were cut over 10 years ago and started sewing them in stratas of 4 strips.  I can cut off two 1.5" segments and make strips of checkerboard or cut off 4 segments and make 16 patch blocks.  Since the 16 patch blocks would only be 4" finished it would take a lot of them to make a quilt.  If I mixed other 4" blocks with them it might be fun.  Or I could sew four 4" blocks together and make an 8" block and then sew some 2.5" strips and make eight inch 16 patch blocks to go with them.  Just mindless sewing for therapy which equals relaxation.  I will get back to my pastel quilt next week.

10 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Sometimes mindless is just what one needs! I did that with HSTs yesterday.

Nann said...

A long-time friend of mine is a professional fiber artist (handmade paper and baskets). She lives in a small ranch house -- an eat-in kitchen, bedroom, bathroom to sleep in and a smaller bedroom for an office- and the living room and garage are all given over to her studio. Works for her!

One of the best things we had installed was a second handrail to the basement so that there is one on each side. Much easier for my husband and even I use them both. (Interesting that the older one is oak and the 30-years-newer one is pine.)

Julierose said...

Loving your strata idea--I have a lot of jelly rolls to use up next and I think short stratas may be how I'll "roll" (hahaha) with those--right now trying to use all my print charms--
59 here and raining here--love a nice rainy day--we are SO DRY here and it's only May....
hugs Julierose

JustGail said...

I've taken over 2 of the 3 bedrooms for sewing. And I'm considering setting up a sewing machine in the living room for evening sewing as I only have OTR TV stations in the sewing room. Sometimes DH asks if I shouldn't move it all to the basement. EEEK! Even though the current basement is dry and somewhat well lit, my biggest fear is that I'd fill that up too. And then there's the amount of stuff that to move and figure out how to set up. Just thinking about it makes me ache and want a nap!
Mindless sewing is good, not every project needs to be a brain-buster.

Barbara Anne said...

You can accomplish a lot when just mindlessly sewing!

If one of your bedrooms is large enough for the long arm machine, you might consider moving everything out of the basement. Or not. It's food for thought.

Hugs!

JJM said...

I see your stratas with vibrance and lots of zing in your 10 year old fabrics ~ a fun evening of ‘mindless sewing, I’d say.

And OMG thats quite a move you have tackled hope all goes well and try not to over due.

JJM

Kathleen said...

Mindless sewing is a lovely thing. We should all do more of it.

Rose said...

I’m a new follower and loving everything you post! You are an inspiration and all your work is marvelous! So glad I found your blog! Rose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I don't know what it is about basements even if they are completely finished and not awful looking things I never care for being in them all that much. Also I would be hesitant of going up and down stairs as I get older. You have your long arm in the basement though don't you so you will need to continue to go up and down to do your quilting.

Patty said...

Something about having some natural light is why sewing in a basement is not ideal.