Saturday, September 13, 2008

Still stripping

I'm having fun again! This is the best energizer I can find, this strippy playtime. I made more sets yesterday and sewed some from yesterday together into longer strips. I pulled out some of the older strips sets from my spare parts box and I think they will work together.
We are having a lot of rain and even more is predicted tomorrow with the remnants of Ike reaching us. A lot of areas around us have gotten 4" already. Luckily I harvested my hydrangea blossoms before it started. They will stay lime green for quite awhile in a vase after they dry. Added 12:45 p.m. : to dry them just hang bundles of them upside down (I do mine in the garage) for about a week, or until they feel dry. One year I just cut them and put them in vases and they didn't keep their color for very long. I don't know why hanging them upside down keeps them colorful longer.
Here is my bouquet of last year's blossoms. It still has a little tinge of green.
Here is my jungle area of the garden. These are cannas, given to me by friends. I plant them behind some of the shorter plants.
Today is cleaning day. My art quilter friends are coming Monday. I'm glad I have sixteen 8' daylight bulbs down in the basement. I won't even know it is a dark wet day while I am down there. I brought the 8' fixtures home from my store when I closed it in 1986 and have added 2 more (2 bulb) fixtures in the last 3 years. Because of the hot water heat pipes, the basement is warmer than the main level in the winter so it is comfortable year round. It is not fancy down there, just practical and comfortable with cement walls and floor.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Those strips look like so much fun to drsign with! What are you planning--you are so creative. Check out my latested "quilt" project before we moved to VA. www.horsingaroundtown.net my pony is featured Aug 11.
Go up to LG to see them if you can---fun time. Paulette in VA

Candy Schultz said...

Please explain how you dry the hydrangeas. I had some thirty years ago but I couldn't remember how we dried them. I had quite a few flowers this year and I was trying to get them to dry so I could keep them but nothing worked. I didn't hang them upside down though.

The ones I had years ago kept for years. I only got rid of them when they got too dusty.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Your stripy bits are loaded with color and contrast. I've a lot of fabric leftovers that are in more muted/grayed tones. I'm thinking this is a good way to make 'fabric' for borders that are different but will not take away from the top in the center. Besides, this looks easier that making another stash-buster quilt.

Nice garden photos! My back yard is being renovated. Two guys out there digging up stuff, putting down blocks, reshaping, etc. They did agree to leave my hostas alone!

Cathi said...

I'm really intrigued; what are you going make with these sets of strips?
I'd also like to now how you dried the hydrangeas. Those would be wonderful to look at in winter.

meggie said...

I have been sewing strips like that too.
I would love to be in your nice warm basement, learning your tips!

Unknown said...

Your strips are turning out fantastic!! Very colorful and happy. Your hydrangea blooms are huge and gorgeous.

Betty J in OKC said...

Wish I could come and play too with my scraps in your basement! We, in OKC, were missed by the winds and rains this time. THe western side of the state got hammered by Lowell.