Sunday, September 28, 2008

Photography

Yesterday Pat asked in the comments whether I had any schooling in photography. My dad was an amateur photographer in the 1940's and 1950's. I got my first camera when I was 10 years old and Dad encouraged my efforts. I have always admired other people's photos and have analyzed what made them good. My son is a professional photographer so I still see great photos all of the time.

As for myself I would say the love of color and nature draws me in and a good camera is the last piece in the puzzle. I had a 35mm camera for 20 years and then went to digitals about 10 years ago. My new camera is giving me the utmost pleasure with the 8 megapixels and telephoto lens. I can be standing several feet away and get these great shots. Software in the computer to crop and adjust the photos helps too.

I was so glad to get a group of 3 here.The 50th class reunion was a lot of fun. I saw several class members in the morning at the alumni tea and then more came to the actual reunion at night. When I was in my 20's and 30's I would see pictures of 50th reunions in the newspaper and be in awe that so many "old" people were still around to attend them. Now I know they weren't old people at all. We had 44 graduating seniors and 8 have passed away. We had 3 there last night that didn't graduate with us but spend a few years in our class. We're going to do the next reunion in 3 years and hope that we won't still have the high fuel costs that kept some of them away.

10 comments:

jacquie said...

beautiful pictures wanda. the field here are full of wildflowers and butterflies. i love this time of year.

Anonymous said...

Attending my 50th H.S. reunion in Sandwich,IL. Wanda's son took our reunion class photo and all 32 faces were smilling ! Wanda's son got his talent from his mom and grandpa. They are quite a talented family in all respects.

LOVE those butterfly photo's Wanda.
J~MT

Unknown said...

I do love your pics. I think I have the same camera Canon Power Shot. I saw it in one of your earlier posts. However, sometimes I am not sure I am using it to it fullest potential. Would you mind e-mailing me and letting me know which settings you are using to take these beautiful pics.

I am glad to hear that your reunion went well. I have only been to one of our reunions. Unfortunately, no one ever arranges them. This year was supposed to be our 25th, but there is none. Oh well.

Purple Pam said...

Beautiful photos. I love the purple of the flowers with the orange and black of the butterflies. Absolutely gorgeous!

Vicky F said...

Hi Wanda,
Love the butterfly and aster photos.
With your art connections, have you considered creating a series of matted, framed photos to sell at an art gallery? They would brighten up anyone's room.
Vicky F

quiltmom anna said...

Wanda,
I love the beautiful butterflies- you do have such a great eye for color. You find it in nature as well as when you are creating your beautiful quilts.

I have started a blog- if you get an chance you can check it out at:

http://quiltmomsjourney.blogspot.com/

Regards,
Anna

Pat said...

Thanks for the background on WHY you take such nice photos! I truly love them and will be looking on a regular basis to see your "work".

Pattie said...

Hi Wanda -

I'm happy to read that your reunion was so enjoyable. And I second everyone's comments: your photos are always spectacular! I'm glad you share your talent with us.

The Calico Cat said...

I can admit that I don't stop by for the nature photos - not that I don't take & post my own, but I am loving this series! Those purple flowers with the orange of the butterflies... :o)

Diane said...

Truly amazing photos!