Monday, September 1, 2008

Butterflies

While I was out watering my porch pots I noticed some butterflies on my sedum plant. So...I used my close up feature and got some great shots. I didn't realize they have beak shaped mouths.
They would sit in one spot for a long time, only opening their wings for fractions of a second and then sitting closed up for longer periods.
This creature came and landed on top of my camera. Later he landed on my finger. I shooed him away and asked him to pose for me. He might be a moth, very little.

Later in the afternoon I noticed the butterflies were sitting with their wings wide open so I grabbed the camera again.

This one turned his back to me.
It was a beautiful day yesterday but it got pretty hot by late afternoon but not humid. I went out in the morning and dug out a bunch of coneflowers that were taking over my back garden. I may dig a few more out today.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wanda, those are wonderful photos!

Mary G.

TB said...

I like your photos. I had never realized, either, that a butterfly would have a beak-like mouth.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Those are great pictures...can I be nosy and ask what kind of camera you have?

Cathi said...

Those are really incredible photos! I'm also curious about what kind of camera you use!
As to a butterfly having a beak-shaped mouth -- that was a total surprise!

Rebel said...

Oh those are gorgeous! When I went to the temple the other day a little yellow butterfly tried to get into the songthaew with me. It was cute.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh, what great pix! I've done some butterfly photos, but they are usually most uncooperative, keeping those wings tightly shut!

Those are "painted ladies". Here's a link to a photo, but yours is just as wonderful!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://animal.discovery.com/guides/butterflies/gallery/painted_lady.jpg&imgrefurl=http://animal.discovery.com/guides/butterflies/angelwings-tortoiseshells/painted-lady.html&h=380&w=540&sz=224&hl=en&start=11&usg=__SJSK0RhJI_D0LK6X_idubVyRBu8=&tbnid=F8WQbT-axtZ_5M:&tbnh=93&tbnw=132&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpainted%2Blady%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

Anonymous said...

Hi Wanda,
Very nice butterfly photos.

Your butterflies look similar to the fritillaries I have in my back yard. They like my nearly-opened sedums, too.

Fritillaries are part of the group "Nymphalidae", also known as "brush footed butterflies". The painted ladies are part of this large category.

Even your little butterfly with the white spot on the side could be another type of fritillary (it doesn't have the moth-type of antennae).

Vicky F

meggie said...

Fantastic photos! Thanks for sharing with us.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What cool images! You go girl.

Lois

Diane said...

Incredible detail ~ fascinating!