Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Old project revisited

Over the last 33 years I was always trying to come up with new ideas for classes. One of the ideas for a machine embroidery quilt was a calendar quilt made with old blue jeans and flannel. January has 5 embroidered squares and 4 flannel squares. February has flannel in the corner blocks to meet up with denim in the previous block.
When they come together the flannel will make a checkerboard all through the quilt. My ideas was to use a color of flannel that represented the month, so March will have green flannel for St. Patrick's Day. Another idea was that if they had family members with birthdays, they could work that information into a block and it would become a memory quilt for the family too.
Only 2 people wanted to take the class and they couldn't come on the planned dates so this one went into the UFO box. I think I will finish it this winter. I need to get all of the projects out and set some goals.

In the backyard, the squirrels are busy. The walnut is almost bigger than his head. I have heard the squirrels out there chewing off the outer layers, and then as often as not they go bury the nut.


It is cool this morning but the sun is shining. We are having some beautiful weather. I just hope we don't have rain on Saturday (my class reunion day).

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the quilt idea! It will be great once it is complete. How funny, the squirrels around here are doing the same thing. My son and I saw a squirrel similar to this one running across the street with a nut in his mouth "almost bigger than its head" . I said that exact thing to my son. They are silly creatures...the squirrels that is.

Anonymous said...

I too love the calendar quilt. The embroidery patches are wonderful. Denim and flannel two of my favorite fabrics.

J~MT

Gene Black said...

Wanda, I have some recycled denim for old jeans that I was trying to figure out what to do with. You have inspired me to pair it with some flannel for a rustic, yet warm and comfortable look. I will not be doing a calendar quilt with it, but I did glean an idea from this post. That makes me very happy that I always read your posts.
Gene

meggie said...

Wonderful warm use for old denim & flannel. Those squirrels always make me smile!

Chris Daly said...

I just found your blog. I love your quilting projects. Very creative and inspirational. Sorry to hear about the loss of your Aunt Marian.

Leonna said...

Hope the quilt comes to completion. I'd love to see the finished project.