Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Butterfly tounges???

Late yesterday afternoon I noticed a lot of butterflies on the sedum again. I used the telephoto function again and when I loaded the pictures in my computer and looked at them close, it looks like the butterfly has a long tongue that goes out to the flower's nectar. I left these 3 pictures larger so when you click on them you should really see a close up view.
The butterflies finally found the butterfly bush. Look at that long dark tongue. I'm sure it has a different name but I didn't look it up.
The one below is directly into the center of a flower.
Is this one a monarch? It has black legs where the others had beige ones and the wing markings are different.
I am really excited about the features of my new camera.

Yesterday was very hot, the hottest day of the summer this year, and humid (curly hair as an indicator). The cool weather is supposed to start today and they are forecasting rain (remnants of the hurricane) for tomorrow. That isn't good news for the county fair but we really need the rain.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures Wanda. Wig.

Rebel said...

Those pictures are awesome... you have the best butterfly garden ever!

Diane said...

Five butterflies in one shot ~ amazing! The strawlike tongue is called a probiscis.

meggie said...

What great photos! I think the last one is a monarch.
I hope you get some cooler weather.

TB said...

I had not realized that the butterfly comes equipped with its own drinking straw! Very nice photos, Wanda!

Susan said...

Gorgeous photos! There is a small difference between male and female monarch's markings, but I forget what it is.

Susan

Anonymous said...

Hi Wanda,
Outstanding photos; even the close-up shots are very clear. Do you have a remote shutter, or just a very steady hand?

How did you coax those butterflies to open up all at once?

Vicky F

Cathi said...

Those close-up shots are incredible! How wonderful to look out and see those butterflies!

Unknown said...

Proboscis - that's the name for that long feeding tube. Don't they just love sedum and buddlea

Leonna said...

Amazing!! Thanks for posting them.

Vicki W said...

What terrific photos!