Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Pressing seams open

I was in such a hurry to get my previous post done before I left to get my hair cut that I forgot to answer the question that came up in the comments yesterday. I press the seams open rather than to one side in any piece that has LOTS of close together seams. This way it just feels like one flat piece of fabric instead a piece with a lot of lumps. It also makes it easier to quilt through. Otherwise in my piecing I press my seams to one side when there is a lot of space between seams.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen! Sometimes you just have to press those seams open!

Julia Wood said...

I love your work! Exuberant is the perfect word for it!

Anonymous said...

Always press a seam open... Then press to one side or the other if situation calls for it. That is what I was taught so many, many, many years ago when I was in college.

To this day I always press seams open and leave open.

J~MT

Susan Loftin said...

I love your colorful quilts.
I have given your blog the "Kreativ Blogger Award". Check out my http://sunrisequiltstudio.blogspot.com blog for details.
Susan

Paula, the quilter said...

I press seams open when I do kaleidoscope blocks and quilts. Those triangles just seem to fit better that way.

Pattie said...

Hi Wanda -

I know you’ll think I'm pulling your leg, but I kept thinking of you while I was in Alaska. Every time we'd run across a field of bright autumn colors, I'd think, "There's Wanda's exuberant color!"

I just paged through your recent posts... how fun! I love the little scrappy strips you're pulling together. You’ve always got something creative going on!

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

I love the composition with your strip sets.
It is EXUBERANT to the nth degree.
K

Sharon said...

I love how your strippies are coming along! The old ones blend quite well with the new ones. And thanks for the tip about pressing the seams open. Good to know!