Saturday, September 20, 2008

A few more blues

I sewed the strip set on the right last night. I found the turquoise set at the bottom and the blue set angled to the left and above it in the box with strips waiting to be sewn. I like it when I find bonuses. I need to continue cutting blues today. I had just finished showering and combing my hair when I got a phone call saying my mother had fallen but they were worried about my dad who was extremely upset. I got dressed and got over there in about 10 min. and my neighbor who works there met me at the door and said they were ok and that she was joking with them and had them laughing and she said to just go back home. We are a family with very strong bones, so all Mother had was a rug burn on her knee. I was more worried about her twisting her back which is her worst problem.

The reason my dad is upset in situations like that is that he is frustrated that he can't do things for her like he used to. He is unsteady on his feet too so he couldn't get her up and had to call for help. He knows that it is his job to take care of her and he feels failure and frustration. The lady who called knew he would be ok if he saw me there. Luckily they were able to go on with their morning as usual. Now I have calmed down too and I'm on call..............

13 comments:

Vicki W said...

I'm glad your parents are OK. I think you should ask them what they were doing to cause rug burns in the first place!

Unknown said...

Beautiful new strips sets!

I am glad to hear that in the end, your mom and dad are okay. I can understand the frustration. I also can understand how you can worry and also feel frustration. But, I am sure that your parents are glad to have a daughter like you!

Anonymous said...

It was the same way with my dad. When my mom would hurt herself, one of our neighbors would stay with her or take her to the hospital because my father would get so upset because he couldn't help her. He had always been the strong one and he just couldn't do it any more. My mom would be upset worrying about him being upset so I would always have to get everyone calmed down emotionally so we could take care of the physical stuff.

I think a lot of it is just plain fear. They are always thinking what will they do if something happens to the other one. What would they do without them.

Bette David was right. Old age ain't for sissies.

Take care of yourself, too, Wanda, because being the caregiver is as hard as being the patient, if not harder.

All your readers are rooting for you and your parents, too.

Joyce said...

Getting old doesn't seem to be much fun. I'm glad to hear that they are both ok.

Cathi said...

Those blues are SO rich and wonderful!

Thank goodness your mom was okay. Your poor dad -- the frustration for hm must be huge! And I second what Diane said -- being the caregiver on call is a very tough role, make sure you take care of yourself!

Diane said...

Oh Wanda, I am relieved your parents are ok. We are going through the same issues with my parents right now. My mom is coming home from a nursing home today to be cared for by my dad. I wish they would agree to move to a place with supervision. Take care of yourself as well!

Unknown said...

Hey Wanda, I usually read your blog as a feed and visited your site today. I love what you did at the top about your favorite quilt and think I may do that too! Great idea! Have you ever thought of uploading your quilts to flicker? You have so many and I think it would be great to see them all in one album. Just a thought. Glad to hear your mum us alright!

Anonymous said...

Wanda - I'm glad to know your parents are OK! I always check your inspirational blog first thing in the a.m. and am late today. You get more done in a morning than most people do in a week! PS For some reason your blog won't let me leave comments unless I click anonymous.
Ellen in NC

Anonymous said...

Hi wanda, So glad your folks are OK.
you know you can always call here
for quick help if need be.We mean it!
Take care.jmh

TB said...

What a scare with your folks, but it sounds like your Mom, at least, is OK. It's hard, I'm sure, for your Dad to feel so helpless; I think I can understand that. So many changes in their lives, it can't be easy.

Stephanie D said...

I'm glad your parents are okay; it's a scary thing to feel so helpless.

Loving those blues!

Purple Pam said...

It is difficult as your parents age. Taking care of them is a stressful job. You MUST take care of yourself as well. Glad your mother is okay. I am sure she is sore today.

Those blues are so rich. I like the way all the colors play together.

mzjohansen said...

Oh! I am so sorry - what sad news. SHe looks like she was such a fine woman - great photos !