Thursday, September 11, 2008

Good digging.

After getting about 4" of rain in a week, the ground was easy to dig in. I cleaned out a bunch of invasive plants in one flower bed and used a plant killer on the ones that were too close to the ones I wanted to keep. While out there I noticed the bees and butterflies were on my sedum flowers. I got my camera and got this close up of a painted lady butterfly. The thing that I thought was a beak is pointed up in the air and the probiscus (thanks Diane) is way below that. Now is the beak thing part of the mouth or is it more like antennae?There were yellow butterflies out there too, and the flowers have opened up and are very pink. The butterfly on the left is drinking nectar. I hope it shows when you click on the picture for a closer view.
There were lots of bees out there too. I will have their pictures ready to show tomorrow.
I got one more embroidery done for the quilt that will be made "someday".
I showed these blocks quite awhile ago and finally got around to trimming them.
The bunny (in yesterday's post) didn't give me any clues. Maybe when he hopped away he was saying follow me and I'll tell you. I guess I'll have to figure it out for myself.

10 comments:

Vicki W said...

Your photographs are incredible!

Cathi said...

Wow! These photographs are fantastic -- what a great view of the butterflies!! Did you purposely plant flowers that would attract them? It must be a real joy to look out your window and see these!

Rebel said...

love the butterfly pictures... can't get enough of them actually!

the batik blocks look awesome... can't wait to see what they will become.

Anonymous said...

I agree your photos are wonderful. Wish my Seedum was as lush as yours, to bring in more butterfly's at my house.

I'm enjoying all your posts I missed while traveling.

Love the Sandwich weather report you've added to your blog.

J~MT

Anonymous said...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://k43.pbase.com/o6/07/739407/1/73586582.kLJThqlD.CloudedSulpherButterfly.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pbase.com/carol_keeler_photo/image/73586582&h=520&w=780&sz=104&hl=en&start=5&usg=__UQbhMfxM8VyVfHPb5f7MlU8_RZs=&tbnid=rSVIGwy_vclVWM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=142&prev=/images%3Fq%3DSulpher%2Bbutterfly%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG
That is a clouded sulpher butterfly! Your pictures are really amazing. I need a camera with that stabalization for zooming!

meggie said...

I agree with everyone else, the butterflies are lovely, & you have captured them beautifully.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Wanda
When you click the first photo to enlarge it, it appears that the butterfly looks us right in the eye. What a shot!
Vicky F

Anonymous said...

The butterfly pic's wonderful! I can't seem to email you....think my provider here will have to be changed---my computer skills are still poor. Thanks for your offer to help. Check out this website for my latest "Quilting" project. www.horsingaroundtown.net STAR the quilted rock'in colt.

Unknown said...

sorry forgot to give my name in last post......

Unknown said...

sorry forgot to leave my name in last comment....