Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Vertical wins!

After much consideration and from the votes from you the readers, I have decided on the vertical orientation for this piece. I hadn't considered putting any borders on it but now I am going to experiment with that. It is .75" longer on the left than on the right and I'm not sure trimming will work so I might be able to correct that with a border. Thanks to tiktakro and floribunda in their comments yesterday, I have decided this is some variety of honeysuckle (lonicera). I have been to a couple different sites for identification and there are 2 varieties that seem the closest. These flowers don't have the long trumpet shape bloom like some of the varieties. Some of them are considered invasive so I think this one is going to get trimmed way back in the fall so there won't be so many berries. Once I see what color the berries are I will be able to better identify the variety. This is a non-fragrant variey unfortunately.


You can see in this picture that the trunk and branches are a grayish woody texture.
Up closer to the house the deep rose columbine is starting to bloom. I'm hoping to move one of these plants around to the back garden this summer.
It was 80 degrees and humid on Monday and was only in the low 50's yesterday. I had the heat on this morning to take the chill off the house.

5 comments:

Vicki W said...

Your garden is really beautiful. I wish I had a garden fairy to plant pretty things around my house. I'm not interested in the least, I just want it to appear magically! LOL! Love the quilt - it looks great.

The Calico Quilter said...

Honeysuckle is great, but boy, is it assertive! The kind that seems to grow a foot a day and get into everything looks more viney, though, so maybe you can keep this one in check. Love the quilt - so happy looking.

Anonymous said...

Quilt looks just great ! I can't remember which way I voted but it must have been vertical too. (*._,*)

Your "photo show" of spring flowers has been such a treat. Thank you

J~MT

jacquie said...

Love honeysuckle. We have it growing as a ground cover up the driveway in the country. Walking the hill is so great with the wafting scent of honeysuckle. It will take over the world though...

Sharon said...

I love your quilt top! It's so great - I just love those batiks! I don't think I've seen a batik quilt that I haven't liked. And thanks for the tutorial on it. It's a help to get started.
And your rose-y columbine is glorious! Thanks for all the great plant and bird photos lately. That new camera is a winner!