Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Edge finish

I decided to describe a little more how I do this edge finish. After the comments yesterday I see this finish is one that many haven't tried. I only use it on placemats, tablerunners, baby quilts, and on some lap quilts. It isn't as sturdy feeling as a regular binding. It is a fast finish for a quilt that will be used and washed often.

First, the quilt has to have straight edges. If it is wiggly and wavy this doesn't work very well. I do my basting and quilting first. Then I trim the batting even with the edge of the top. Then I slide a cutting mat under the edge and start trimming the backing to the same width all the way around the quilt. If your narrowest piece of backing extending is 3/4" then you trim to that size all around the quilt. In other words, plan ahead. If you want to trim to 1" make sure you have that much extending on all sides. I do not press or pin. I start at one corner and turn the cut edge in to the edge of the top and then turn in again and start topstitching. You don't want to pull the edging toward yourself as you do this or you will stretch it and have to work pleats into it. Overhandling the fabric is a beginners biggest mistake. A light touch turning it in twice and then stitching is all it needs. The corners are folded into miters. Practice it by making coasters or potholders.
I made another batch of these pieces last night. I really want to get back to that one and get it sewn together. When I went out to the kitchen to press these blocks I noticed my security light was on in the back yard, and lo and behold, the possum was out there. He scooted away too fast for me to get a picture. This morning I saw a baby bunny along with 6 squirrels and lots of birds. I have my own little wilderness right here in town.
Two more days of low 60's and then we are supposed to warm up. I have the heat on again this morning.

8 comments:

Three Birds Inspired said...

Clever edge finish. I think I will give it a try on my next little quilt. Thanks!

jovaliquilts said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I have seen quilts finished this way but wasn't really sure how it was done. With the fabric you chose for your backing, it gives a really neat look on the front, like different fabrics for the sides than for the top and bottom. And hang in there with the cold -- it HAS to go away eventually. (Doesn't i????)

Elsie Montgomery said...

Thanks from me too for a good tutorial. I'm planning to use this for those little "practice" quilts that I sometimes make from leftover and use to practice a new quilting motif.

We had a perfect day here yesterday, so took advantage and spent almost all of it in the yard. Today, my body is feeling somewhat less than perfect (moan) but at least I earned these aches and pains. While out there, we saw a squirrel and some blue jays, the usual assortment of little wrens and sparrows, and not one fly, gnat, or mosquito!

Last night clouds came with wind, but the sun is shining this morning and a walk is appealing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Wanda,My thanks also for the lesson on an edge
finish. Hope you can put it in your book some day.
jmh

meggie said...

You could write an excellent book! Your instructions are always nice & clear.

jacquie said...

Thanks, this looks pretty easy to do. I'm going to try it on a mini quilt. Question, do you use your regular needle or change to a topstitching needle?

TB said...

You're so good with giving instructions. That must the innate and practiced teacher in you. Thanks for the tips.

Michael5000 said...

Oooh, cool binding technique. I might have to try it out on one of my scrappies.