Monday, May 26, 2008

Since you asked....

Several readers have asked for a little more info on how I make my units for my latest quilt. A few have hinted that they would like to try this. Go for it! The picture below shows the units before they are cut into final shape. I use any size strips that are in my scrap bins. The narrowest should be at least an inch wide, preferably just a little wider because it will get trimmed slightly. I use anything up to 3" wide.I have already trimmed 2 sides and now I am lining up to trim the other 2 sides. My "rule" that I made for myself is that they can be any inch measurement plus1/2"'. I have used everything from 2.5" to 7.5" in my previous quilt. You can see that if I allowed myself to use even inch measurements I wouldn't have to trim away so much on this one.
On this one I have just laid the ruler on the block to see the largest I can cut it. Then I decide how much gets trimmed off of which edges. I may want the center square to be off center so I decide which fabrics I like the most and where I will trim the least. Since this one will be 3.5" x 4.5" I can use it either in the 3.5" row of units of in the 4.5" row when I do my layout.

I hadn't seen the goldfinches for about 3 weeks. Then yesterday there were a couple of them in my yard again, checking out the finch feeder sack. A few minutes later this little guy flew up to my window sill and started pecking at the window. He wouldn't sit still for very long so 4 of the pictures were blurry.

I love the look of this ground cover with the branches of pink flowers over it.
It is sunny and humid today. It was already 60 degrees when I got up. Happy Memorial Day to everyone.

11 comments:

Diana said...

Thanks for sharing this method. I have been admiring them since you began showing them.

Cathi said...

Thank you for the instructions! I've really enjoyed looking at these -- and now am tempted to start one!
It's finally mild enough here that the gardeners have started to plant some flowers. I can't wait for the summer heat & humidity!

mzjohansen said...

Oh ! I love those blocks! My kind of quilt and my kind of colors ! The gold finch photo is wonderful. What a little cutie. Thanks for posting all of this great info !

Anonymous said...

Your tutorials are always so clear and make us all feel like "I can do that".

I'd like to think that Mr. Goldfinch was just letting you know he was back, and dropping by to say hello...

Does that ground cover have long spikes with little blue flowers when it blooms? My sister has something that looks similar hers is called Jack Frost Brunnera.

J~MT

jovaliquilts said...

Wow, what a photo of that goldfinch! And thanks for the tutorial. So the cut size of each block will determine which row it goes in, and not all rows will have the same width? That's what it looks like from a previous post (though I see you occasionally put a few small ones together to make a large one).

meggie said...

Fun with fabrics.
Love the ground shot too!

True Debreuil said...

I love this way of making scrap quilts. I may have to try it next time I get into a really scrappy mood. Lol.

Diane said...

Do you knnow the name of this ground cover? Looks like you are enjoying the new camera. Great bird shots.

Clare said...

Thanks for the tutorial. It's the Gwen Marston technique yes?

Patricia Lessell said...

I can't thank you enough for sharing this with me. Thank you just doesn't seem enough somehow. But that's all I can find to say.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sending this information. Now I feel more confident in starting my quilt using your wonderful technique and very clear photos and instructions. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Wanda.
Arline Rubin
P.S. Your photos are beautiful. I don't see finches in NYC but I do see lots of sparrows.