Monday, May 12, 2008

Before the electricity goes off again........

My son's family came over to see me yesterday late morning and while we were talking the electricity went off. I figured it would be a few minutes and then it would come back on. A little after 2 p.m. I called ComEd and listened to the recording that I wouldn't have power until after 4. It came on about 3:20. And now this morning it went out for about 30 seconds and then came back on.

Well, that gave me time to play with my NEW camera. My old one has a 2X telephoto and this one has 12X. It has optical image stabilization, which takes care of my shakiness, but it doesn't make the birds sit still! This one below was perched up on the stub of an old branch and was just asking to have its picture taken.
The Grosbeaks were gone for 4 days and now there are a couple back again. They don't sit still for a minute. He kept hopping from branch to branch and this is the closest to still that he got.
This is a shot of the shade garden quite a ways away from the house. With my old camera you wouldn't have seen the shapes of any of the leaves. The red plant is husker red penstemon. I love the contrast of colors of leaves.
My art quilters are coming today so I will try some more arrangements of the triangle blocks and take pictures.

9 comments:

Vicki W said...

That is one of the best photos of the Grosbeak that I've ever seen! I think they are very hard to photograph.

...and I'm very jealous.

Elsie Montgomery said...

I can see that this is a remarkable camera. Of course any tool is useless without a good crafts person using it!

Have you seen Joen Wolfrom's book, "Visual Coloring"? I immediately thought of this as I read this post. She shows how she uses her nature photos to create new color schemes for her quilts.

Have a terrific day with your art quilters!

Anonymous said...

What a great camera! You captured amazing detail.

J~MT

Pattie said...

Wanda, you love birds, too?? No wonder I enjoy your blog! Gardening and quilting and birds... what more can a gal ask for? :-)

meggie said...

Lovely photos. The camera will be fun to use, & try out new ideas. I love to see the birds, they are so different to the birds we have.

jovaliquilts said...

How exciting to have a new camera! Very nice shots of the birds. At least quilts don't usually move around so much! :)

TB said...

Your photograph abilities are great! I love these pics.

TB said...

I meant to say photographic abilities!

TB said...

Wow, I'm really tired, I meant to say photography abilities! I need to go to sleep!