Thursday, May 15, 2008

Small town

I live in a fairly small town, not quite yet in the building boom that has been moving its way out from Chicago. There is a family owned grocery store 7 blocks from me, no Jewel or other large chain. Yesterday afternoon my dad and I were at the grocery store and I saw my nephew. After the graveside service on Sat. he and his family and I were talking about all of our bird sitings. I was telling him at the grocery store how much fun that was. When I got up to the checkout line, the guy behind me says "I heard you talking about the birdwatching" and he and I struck up a conversation about all of the birds we have seen. He and his wife just live about 10 blocks from me. I don't know if this happens in a large town/city or not, but I like the friendliness of our small community.

The quilt below was my store sample for the kit we had cut at the store. Two of my students chose that kit for the class yesterday but changed out the large flower print for another dotted fabric. I had never gotten a picture of this sample so I took the opportunity yesterday to do it. I liked the way the striped fabric looks in it and needed the reminder to do that again some time.
How could anyone not like this cute little guy? I realize some areas are over run with them but they are my little entertainers in the backyard year round.
Is this plain beige bird just a female of one of the spotted species like sparrows or does it have a name of its own?
I LOVE my new camera!

6 comments:

Cathi said...

Your TATW is fun -- love the effect of the stripes.
We have a few squirrels out on the roof garden and everyone has fun watching them. They know they're on to a good thing here as there are quite a few residents who take food out for them. :-)

jovaliquilts said...

The stripes really are nice in the TATW, but I love the one row of large flower print -- can't imagine changing that one! It adds sparkle. I have a bargello which uses almost that identical large floral (in fact I just checked to see if it was that fabric, but it's not quite).

Small towns definitely have their good points! Neighborhoods in cities function in the same way -- I think spread out suburbs have it hardest when it comes to a feeling of community.

meggie said...

We are so lucky here, our neighbours are so friendly. A trip to the local shops often brings conversations with strangers too. Older people seem more willing to be friendly.

Love your pics, & the squirrels would fascinate me.
The quilt is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

WANDA! Wish I would have been there to take the class. I love the continuity and precision of this piece. The colors and prints are so fresh and full of spring time "pizazz".

I enlarged it to see the detail and it is even more stunning.

Thank you for sharing your new camera photo's with us. You always make my day.

J~MT

Anonymous said...

I think that little brown bird is a female house finch -- the males have redish-purplish breasts.

:) Linda

Anonymous said...

Wow! what a beautifully simple and clever quilt. Just the inspiration I needed to choose my next quilt.
-quiltking