Thursday, May 22, 2008

Top sewn together, horizontal or vertical?

I sewed the top together yesterday. I have been working with it in the horizontal orientation as I designed and sewed rows. It has turned out to approximately 47" x 37", bigger than I thought it would be when I started it. After I assembled each row, I moved some of the rows to different positions too. Then I turned it vertically after I had pressed it and was ready to take a picture. I like it both ways. I guess the question is now, do I put on 2 hanging sleeves so it can be hung either way? It all depends on the shape of the wall space it will hang in I guess.
Here are the same weigela bushes from a few days ago with all of the blossoms fully opened.
The pale pink one is just starting to open.
The red one just has buds. It usually has flowers off and on all summer.
The sun is shining this morning, still chilly here. We are headed an hour away to the Retinal Eye Clinic this afternoon for Mother. She has had 4 other appointments this week and one more tomorrow. I know more about some medical conditions than I ever wanted to know and none of them are mine.

11 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Sorry about your mom -- it's so rough to watch someone go through illness.

I like your quilt both ways -- probably all 4 ways!

Vicki W said...

I like both orientations!

Elaine Adair said...

I'm studying your quilt, turning my head each way trying to figure which is best, but it's great, any way! Yes, find the wall space the let THAT make the determination!

Have a lovely long weekend - I'm hoping to.

Elsie Montgomery said...

I like it both ways too, but the horizontal one appeals a tad more, and I've no explanation. Maybe because that is the way it was in the first photo??

Bless you for your care for your mom. You are giving of yourself to give her a better quality of life. It takes a lot energy, both physical and emotional.

You are in my thoughts!

Kristin L said...

I like the vertical orientation best.

Anonymous said...

re:Quilt~ Both ways of course. When you want a change you are ready. Love it!

re: Blossoming bushes ~ Your photo's capture all the beauty of spring. Thanks for sharing.

Your days spent with your mom will live in your heart of memories forever. As she is worth every moment you care for her.

Been there... J~MT

Nancy said...

First ditto J-MT's comments regarding your mother.
I love the wiegelias, their beautiful. I think I need one for this house.
I like the quilt vertically, though I think you're right to put the sleeve on both ways. Does it need a home? I have a place for it...
Finally I look forward to your blog every day. You challenge and encourage my creativity, if only in my mind some days. Thank you.
Nancy

Nancy said...

Oh heavens, I should have previewed my post, for spelling and punctuation. How embarrassing.
Maybe having my coffee before posting would be a good idea.
Nancy

Lynda said...

I like it horizontally best - it looks like a light is shining through the fabric from behind. Lovely!

Dixie Redmond said...

The vertical orientation seems to have more of a visual entry. I love this quilt. How many times have I typed that on your blog, I wonder?

Michael5000 said...

I somewhat prefer the vertical (portrait) orientation... but I find that, all other things being equal, I ALWAYS prefer the portrait orientation for a quilt, and that might just be because that is the most common way they are hung at shows....

It looks even better now that it's together, of course!