Saturday, May 24, 2008

Color in my garden

In 1995 I tore out the ugly evergreen bushes that were so typical of a 1950's ranch house setting. I took a small landscaping class through our park district and learned about the different colors of foliage. So many plants just flower for such a short time that you need to have varieties of leaf colors to keep the landscaping colorful. What I didn't realize was how much trimming the bushes need to keep them manageable sizes. The taller green bush up by the windows hides a window air conditioner so I don't mind it being in front of the windows, but I put it in there just 4 years ago and have trimmed it drastically each year. I got a gift certificate to a local greenhouse for Mother's Day so I finally had time to go shopping yesterday. I got three more Heucheras (coral bells) with different leaf colors. I also got a sedum in an interesting leaf color. 6 plants are annuals, some for the last pot that sits in front of the garage between the doors and some for the ground.
I think it will be warm enough to enjoy working outside today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a treat to see how you have landscaped your walkway entry into a wonderful, colorful, and ever so welcoming sight. Talk about curb appeal you have succeeded... Just LOVE it.

I can see the class pulled out more of your natural talents.

J~MT

meggie said...

Your garden looks wonderful, love the colour contrasts in the plants you have chosen.
New selection looks interesting too. Enjoy your time out in the garden.

TB said...

Lovely! Your landscaping is colorful and interesting. Nice work!