Sunday, May 4, 2008

Unanimous!!

I knew I was less than thrilled with the blocks in a straight layout and thought it might be because the flow of color wasn't right. Then when I turned the blocks on point I realized they just needed a new position. Thank you all of you for commenting and confirming what I felt.

I think I will still make a few more blocks to get the color flow a little more like I want it. As far as "What will the setting triangles be?". It is kind of like when I am in the beginning of an original art piece and someone asks me "What is it going to be?" and my answer is always "I don't know, I haven't seen it yet". I will probably try up to 50 different fabrics before I find one (or more) that will work. I will know it when I see it. I wish it were easier than that because then it would be done sooner. I know I will try a stripe among other things and I'll post pictures of some of things I try.

Does anybody know what the bird in the foreground is? It is bigger than a mourning dove, whiter, and has a black ring around its neck. He (or she) walked very elegantly through the garden and wasn't afraid of any other kind of bird.
Notice the squirrel hanging from the "bird" feeder basket. At least he is sloppy enough to drop a lot for the birds under the basket.

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

Hi Wanda,
Looks like a turtle dove. Here's a link with both together in a picture.


http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/EucdovRitdovID.htm

Jeanne :)

Joyce said...

Trying different fabrics is half the fun of quilting.

Anonymous said...

It is a ringed turtle dove, when we in IL. 3 years ago we saw them and asked. You sure have had a variety of birds that visit your garden year round. Your photo's are like a Bev Doolittle painting, if you look closer there is more than the dove and squirrel in that photo, is that another one of your grosbeaks to the right of the dove?

Had fun reading all those 20 comments from yesterday.

J~mt

Sharon said...

It appears to be a Eurasian Collared Dove, according to What Bird:
http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/887/_/Eurasian_Collared-Dove.aspx
Thanks for the bird-watching. We don't get that many different birds here.
And, just to put in my 2 cents worth, I too like the blocks on-point. I like them the other way too, but, as you say, the color flows better on point. It's gonna be a beautiful quilt!