Friday, May 2, 2008

Bird sighting

I was looking out my window yesterday morning and saw a fleck of bright blue, and then I looked closer and there were some black and white birds with a bright red spot on their breasts. You will have to click on these pictures to see it closer. I need a new camera with a better telephoto lens. The birds passing through the area are only here for a few days. The black and white ones are Rose Breasted Grosbeaks. I'm not sure if I have ever seen them before, and of course the blue one is a bluebird. There is a sparrow lunching with them in this picture.
Here is the new block from last night.
And the redbuds are almost all open now. This is the view from my kitchen window.


5 comments:

Elsie Montgomery said...

We had more snow Tuesday, but this time it was those huge flakes that melt when they hit the ground. I've crocuses in bloom, but no trees yet.

I really like this block. Again, your color choices are my inspiration. I picked up my 'mystery' quilt from my long-arm quilting friend yesterday. I'll post soon, but am going out of town and need the binding on today!

have a glorious one!

Anonymous said...

We too have 'flocks' of Grosbeaks that come through and try to wipe out the bird feeder. I have never seen a Blue Grosbeak, I will check out link. My thought was an Eastern Bluebird at first.

The block you did last night has a glimmering warm glow. The palette is just beautiful. Are you using the 'Thangles' on all of these blocks? Your precision is supreme.

J~MT

Rebel said...

oh wow! I love bird watching almost as much as i love quilts! I don't get either of those where I am so what a treat!

Libby said...

My parents had bright blue birds at their feeders in Bloomington, but I think we positively identified them as Indigo Buntings, and they didn't quite look like that. The rosy breasted grosbeaks were there tho - they are so striking! Birds are so beautiful...

Michael5000 said...

Man, I LOVE that block. Can't really articulate why, but I find it downright dazzling.