Friday, May 23, 2008

Rainy morning

Yesterday was a long, tiring day. I got groceries for my parents and myself but because the bananas were totally green I then had to make a trip to Wal-Mart. By the time I delivered their groceries and put away mine it was time for the hour trip to the IL Retinal Center. The highlight of the trip was eating at Baker's Square a few blocks from the Dr. office. We went there first, using the gift card they got for Christmas since our local (20 miles away) Baker's Square closed. I took a cooler along and we all got pieces of pie to take home. Mother's appointment was for 2:05 p.m. but we didn't get out of there until 3:50 p.m. She had accidentally pushed the button for "not coming" when she got the automated phone call the day before so they had to work her in. They will be calling me from now on with the reminder call. My mother is hard of hearing and can't even figure out who the call is from with that automated voice and the button pushing was accidental.

And now, on to my green world. I love my plants. This first picture is 4 different hostas, evening primrose (cup of gold) on the left and Sedum and threadleaf coreopsis on the top right.
I had to dig up one bed that had the hostas too near to the grass so I divided the plant and potted the "babies". I will leave them in pots all summer to let the root base strengthen.
Then on a different day I tackled the front flower bed. Two of the hostas needed to be moved away from the more aggressive plants. I decided to divide one of them while I had it dug up. All of these "babies" came from one plant and the main plant is still pretty big.
The robins sit on my front railing and do their "job" onto my porch pots. Luckily this one has multicolor geranium leaves so it isn't so noticeable. The darker plants on the steps below need a bath because it is obvious on them.
I have the day to myself until 4 p.m so I think I will play with some fabric. It's raining so I can't go outside............

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This automated world we live in now is frustrating...can you imagine what it will be like if we are so fortunate to live into our 80's-90's like your parents. I'm glad they did not turn you away and at least worked your mom in.

Your plants are so grand, and I am assuming you are taking the photo's with your new camera. Detail and color is just wonderful.

High of 57 here today and raining which is desperately NEEDED here. But what a change from those 3 days of 80's and 90's! It has been predicted we are headed for the next 7-10 yr. cycle of cooler temps now. Has anyone else out there heard that yet?

J~MT

Elsie Montgomery said...

Lovely hosta. Mine are up but not that much. They will get 3-4 feet wide by summer.

Your "labels" had heart quilts in them so I had a look and liked the David Walker 4-layer one, which would be fairly easy to do without directions (and with my own drawing). Since it was on your page, it seemed right to put you in my draw. Hope you don't mind (smile).

Pattie said...

Ah, I love hostas! Your plants look wonderful, Wanda.

My heart goes out to you re: your Mom. I took care of my Mom in her final years: she lived with me for the last five years of her life. It was the hardest thing I've ever done - and I'm so glad I was able to do it. She's been gone 10 years now, and I miss her every day.

Hang in there, my friend!

meggie said...

My mother has been gone 11 years, & I know I will never stop missing her.
I love your Hostas, & wish I could adopt some of your babies!
That quilt looks lovely, either way.
The Wigelias are just stunning!

Quiltdivajulie said...

All of my MIL's calls come to our house. She, too, is hard of hearing and, unless focused, has difficulty with conversations. Rest assured, you are not alone on this journey...