Monday, July 1, 2024

#3 finish for June 2024


It was a beautiful day yesterday with 73 degrees and a 50 dewpoint.  There was even a nice breeze.  Even thought the grass hasn't totally recovered from the dry spell, I mowed it because my neighbors had mowed theirs. 

 

I spent the rest of the day cutting the binding, sewing it on, and hand stitching to finish.  This is the one that was started in 1996.  I pulled it out several times thinking I would finish it but it didn't happen until this year.  This post explains the day I started it.  The method of designing it was in Baker's Dozen Doubled by Mary Ellen Hopkins.


The backing fabric is one of my favorites that is in the quilt top.  I decided it should be the binding too.  It is small, 35" x 41" and after washing it will go in my stack of baby quilts to be gifted.

I'll do my monthly recap tomorrow and also will have some more fabrics in my de-stash sale.  I was too tired last night to write that blog post.

9 comments:

Julierose said...

I loved ME Hopkins' books--so good and funny too.
Your quilt really looks great--some youngster will just love it...;))
68 here today with a lower DP--only (imagine thinking this is lower!!) 60 DP!
Quite a cool westerly wind blowing though...
I put borders on Pink Ojos and My Little Baskets yesterday...they are laid out waiting for backing and batting etc....
Hugs, ulierose

patty a. said...

I bet you are glad this one is finally done! It turned out wonderful and that print on the back ties the whole thing together. I ought to get out and do some yardwork tonight since it is going to be in the 80s the rest of the week. I haven't mowed and the yard with the rain we had last week, is starting to look a bit ratty.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

You have been finishing quite a few quilts lately - you are on a roll for sure! it started terribly hot yesterday but then we got thunderstorms by afternoon and it cooled it off. Barely got much rain but the temperatures dropped so that felt good - cooler today too so far.

JustGail said...

How nice that this one is finally done! Even better - it doesn't look like it was started in 1996. You know how some fabrics or color combinations seem to announce when they were made? This one doesn't, at least not to me. It's very pretty, I especially like the blending from the white to the dark squares.

Mary Ellen Hopkins... I have a number of her books, but somehow don't think to pull them out. I really should re-visit all my books. Right now my evenings' project is going through the notebooks of patterns saved from magazines for years. I've never looked at them again after filing them. UGH. I may make a 2nd pass with an even more critical eye after the 1st pass is done.

JJM said...

The baby’s Mom that receives this quilt will treasure it forever. Fabrics and design is one beautiful quilt, and a stunning keepsake.

JJM

Mary said...

I love the frabrics in this one and congrats on finishing another UFO.

Mystic Quilter said...

Well worth waiting to see your finish!! It's a fascinating design and great to be dealing with a smaller size quilt than usual!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I'm glad you finished this one - it is beautiful and will be a perfectly wonderful baby quilt!

Barbara Anne said...

What a delightful finish on this wonderful quilt that's been waiting it's turn to be completed for such a long time. Definitely worth the wait!

We got nearly 2" of rain last night and was it ever needed - also very appreciated.

Hugs!