Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Garden refresh............


I have always had a mulch path through my shade garden but the last couple years I couldn't find a mulch that was small pieces.  I hate the big chunks because they aren't fun to walk on.  I found this nice mulch, soft and small pieces so I bought several bags of it.  I had 2 choices, dark brown or red.  I thought the brown would just look like dirt so I went with red.


These 2 photos show each end of path that goes around a redbud tree.  This is a shade garden with lots of Hosta plants.  The section with the orange Tiger Lilies and Purple Coneflowers gets a little more sun in the late afternoon.  It has been several years since I have refreshed the mulch on this path.  I finished this job before the light rain started, the residue from hurricane Beryl coming all the way up through IL.


I'm still working on the hand stitching on the binding of this Churn Dash/Hole in the Barn Door quilt.  I have 2 sides done and about 12" on the third side.  

10 comments:

Julierose said...

Nice little path you've made in your shade garden;))) We are so totally fogged in this morning here--71.4 with DP of 71.1--I don't understand why it isn't raining! Anyhow, have to go food shopping later on today...hopefully before the day's real heat sets in...
Nice to work on sewing bindings down during this hot spell--very calming...
hugs, Julierose

Cherie Moore said...

There really isn’t anything as satisfying as laying down fresh much! It makes everything brighter and gives a clean look. Here in the greater Pittsburgh area we haven’t seen any rain from the remnants of Beryl, even though it was forecasted.

Chris said...

Hi Wanda, Your garden path looks great! I love mulch in a landscape, I think it’s the finishing touch, adds a nice contrast. I’m impressed that you tackled the job, as those bags can be quite heavy and difficult to handle.
Happy sewing!

Helenchaffin said...

A beautiful idea for a garden path,I finally got a small garden started

patty a. said...

Your path looks so nice! I know what you mean about trying to find mulch that is finer. The last few years I have been buying a cedar mulch at Menards and I like it a lot. The pieces are small and it is light in color. I usually refresh the area in front of one of my beds with a couple bags every year to try and keep the weeds down. The hurricane is bringing some much needed rain here too.

JJM said...

That was work I know to carry and spread those bags of mulch … but oh what a nice difference it made. And then to come in and work more on your binding ~ it was a good day.

JJM

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the mulch just changes the look so much doesn't it - it would want me to stick a chair or small bench in there to sit in the shade and admire the garden.

Barbara Anne said...

Love your little path and perhaps we'll do that in our 'near woods'. Thanks for the idea!

Well done on the binding progress, too. Stitch by stitch, you'll get finished.

Hugs!

MissPat said...

We've had a rain shower or two this AM, but still forecasted to get severe storms from 3-7 PM today (from the remnants of Beryl). I buy bulk double ground mulch. Unfortunately, to save money on delivery, I always buy too much, than a pile sits in the driveway for months until I can gets spread. But it gets used eventually.
Pat

Linda Swanekamp said...

We had Beryl remnants today and yesterday. I have a hard time finding good mulch. The big hunky stuff is not acceptable. The path looks great among the greenery.