Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Fussy cutting..............


I mentioned a few days ago that I have a lot of cutting to do.  Three quilts that I will be making involve fussy cutting.  This one is the Charley Harper version.  I am cutting 4.5" x 8.5" rectangles and 4.5" squares.  As I looked through the fabrics I'm going to add a few 8.5" squares too.  Charley Harper fabric is made by Birch fabrics, it is organic cotton, and is $16 a yard.  I'm always on the hunt for it on sale. Fabricworm has the best selection.


The motifs are spaced out so when I fussy cut my shape there is a lot of waste.  However it will be cut into triangles at some point.





If you look at the top right corner of the ruler, I'll be nicking into another bird with this cut.  Also to the left is what is left of a bird from a fussy cut for a different quilt.




This print has a lot of waste so there will be lots of green triangles cut from it.






It took me a little over an hour to get this much cut.  This is going to be a time consuming quilt and an expensive one.






At the left is the piece I cut for this quilt.  On the right, the strip of 4 birds doesn't have any seam allowance above their heads.  I will probably use it in some other quilt anyway.  




I just had to take another photo of the beautiful Tiger Lily plant with the pretty blue sky .

I have been hand stitching on my binding on the Churn Dash quilt too, just no photo to prove it.  I have 1 long side and half of a short side stitched.

14 comments:

Cherie Moore said...

Oh, I loved the last Charlie Harper quilt you made and I can’t wait to see this one develop ! I have a small bit of CH fabric and your advice to use the good stuff has me thinking about finally cutting into it. I love CH fabric and want to do it justice……..can you see I’m gathering up my courage, lol?

Helenchaffin said...

That's a lot of fussing😄but so worth it in the end,I can tell already it's going to be a beautiful quilt!

Julierose said...

That is a lot of fussy cutting, Wanda--but well worth the resulting pieces I think...
72 here and another high DP day--99% humidity right now and we are deep in fog...
Hoping to get an appointment for a haircut today--my last cut was a disaster; so going to a new hairdresser--always worrisome!!
Hugs, Julierose

Nann said...

I credit you for introducing me to Charley Harper. Or reintroducing, considering that surely I saw his artwork in magazines over the years. A couple of the quilt books I've been rereading are about fussy cutting and/or using "can't cut this" fabrics. Reminds me of the prints you are using.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love Charlie Harper fabric but have never actually bought any - this will be a great quilt.

patty a. said...

The CH bird fabrics are so pretty. I have zero in my stash unfortunately. Cutting is hard work! I think I had my fill this past weekend! LOL!! Th lilies are so pretty. I miss having them in my yard. There are a few of the roadside/ditch lilies in the neighbor's yard that the deer don't eat because of his fence. I will just have to enjoy seeing those.

JJM said...

What a fun and happy post today Wanda ~ Contemporary birds by Charlie Harper even the ‘Turkey Vultures’ yet. Let me know if I’m wrong… I had never seen his art work until you featured them in your quilts, And look forward to seeing how you use these.

JJM

Libby in TN said...

As I sit in my recliner I see a little treetop above the neighbor's roof that reminds me of a Charley Harper bird. Can't wait to see what you do with this!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Gotta love all those Charley Harper prints! I have fat quarter-ish pieces of Roadrunner (mostly grey) and Quail (mostly brick red) that I'd be happy to send you if you'd like them. They're left over from when I made sofa pillows a couple years ago.

Barbara Anne said...

Brilliant bird quilt in the making and what's not to love about the Charlie Harper birds? Nice the birds are widely spaced on the fabric, too. What time consuming fun!

Lovely and wonderfully bright Tiger Lily, too.

Hugs!

Barbara said...

Wanda,
Stitch Supply Company in Wisconsin has a selection of Charley Harper fabric for $3.50/fat quarter or $14 per yard, just a little less than $16/yd. I've purchased fabric from them and always received very reliable service.

pbj fiber marietta said...

I'm a big fan of CH! I loved the other quilt you made with the trees...

Vicki W said...

I love it when you get out your Charlie Harper fabrics!

Florida Farm Girl said...

I love Charlie Harper prints, though I don't own any. I don't think any of the local shops carry it. It'll be a treat to see that top finished. Stay cool.