Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Garden walk........................

 Ah, summertime!  I know summer is really here when the Purple Coneflowers are 4' tall and the trees have filled out between me and my backyard neighbor.


This shot surprised me when I got it to the computer.  A shaft of light was on the Coneflower with deep shadows all around it.






I never got around to trimming the Annabelle Hydrangea in the garden by the back of the house.  We haven't had hard downpours this year (yet) so the bush is still mostly upright.  After a storm it will usually droop down and never recovers because the new stems with blooms are so fragile.  This is really 2 bushes and I need to dig out the back one this fall.

The Blackberry Lily is still blooming.  I have a couple of the common orange ditch lilies that I didn't dig out this spring so they are going to bloom soon and then I will dig them out.



This is round 2 for the Stella d'oro lily.  I know there were 2 plants originally so maybe this is the other plant.







One of my Rutgers tomato plants has a few good size tomatoes on it.  I have 3 of them and the one right next to this one only has 2 small tomatoes and the third plant has none so far.  This is why I overbuy on tomato plants.  There is no guarantee that every plant will have a big yield.

Today I need to make a backing  or two.  I already have batting cut to match several tops so the one seam and lots of pressing is what I need to do.

10 comments:

Mary said...

You've got a nice diversity in your garden and still lots of blooms. I enjoyed the tour.

Anonymous said...

I love seeing pictures of your garden in addition to the quilts. I am a quilter and a gardener too. Your quilts are inspiring. I want to make the 16 patch in coneflower colors

patty a. said...

The flowers are looking so pretty! The hydrangea is gorgeous! I hope to get some time over the next 4 days to weed and get a couple of the flower beds back in shape. I kind of let things grown in the big center bed because it looked like I had lots of coneflower starts. I wasn't sure so I let them go until they got bigger.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is always good to have a variety of tomatoes, some will have a lot on them and others won't and some are ready much earlier than others. - Good shot of the coneflower!

helenreimers said...

The picture of the coneflower is stunning.

Julierose said...

Such pretty coneflowers and Stella D'Oro lilies...my daylilies haven't as yet deigned to bloom...hopefully soon.
75 here already with 62 DP--so not too bad outside. At least the DP is staying tolerable...hoping to get a start on machine quilting a couple quilts; resting my hands for a bit from handworks...
hugs,Julierose

JJM said...

Lovely “garden walk” photos today Wanda ~

JJM

Barbara Anne said...

What a delightful garden walk you have around your home!

Have fun with those backing fabrics.

Hugs!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I cut batting for three quilts yesterday and pin basted two. The third quilt is rolled onto the pool noodles but I won't pin baste it until one or both of the others are quilted. I need to go out in the morning before it gets so hot (heat index predicted at 112 this afternoon) and take pictures of our plants to show how much they've grown since they were planted earlier this year. It always surprises me.

MaryJo said...

Hi Wanda,

I agree with Helen... Coneflower photo is STUNNING !!

As always...Thanks for sharing.