Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Preliminary sewing................


 Since I don't have a solid plan for this quilt, I'm just sewing some blocks to play with.  First I went through the trays and chose all of the fabrics of which there were at least 12 triangles.  I sewed several batches of them last night.


This is the rest of the sets of 12 triangles paired and ready to sew.







This one is upside down and I didn't notice that until I was typing this post.  This one has stripes and 6 are horizontal, 6 are vertical.  I had to lay this one out to see if I want to use the rest of the stripe fabrics.







The other 2 kinds of blocks are the same height, just less columns.  I need to press the squares today so I can sew blocks together and then go to the second stage of the design, whatever that may be.

I was outside for 2 sessions yesterday.  It was humid.  The first time I pulled out Creeping Bellflowers and Creeping Charlie from an area in the garden.  The second session was trimming the third Weigela bush.  I found a couple more volunteer trees growing in the bush so they had to go too.  So now I have trimmed all 3 Weigela bushes and 2 Lilac bushes and I don't have plans to trim any more.

6 comments:

Julierose said...

These triangles are making "moody" blocks;))) I always like to see the start of your quilts--they often go off in unexpected directions...;))
69 here early this morning and overcast with 96% humidity--another "close" day coming up for us. I will do our food shopping today as tomorrow I take DH in to hosp. for his upcoming surgery...
Hugs, Julierose

Mary said...

I would find these fabrics challenging to work with, so I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

patty a. said...

I like those darker fabrics. You have to feel accomplished since it sounds like you have the majority of the plant trimming done for now. I had a hair appointment last evening so by the time I got home from that I was beat especially being out in the heat for three hours watching the workers push those beams. I managed to do a load of laundry and then went to bed.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your hst's always look so neatly done - do you ever feel the need to square up or have you been able to always manage a perfect seam - that is something I have never accomplished

JJM said...

I too am looking forward to see you continue with these sets of little squares.

JJM

Barbara Anne said...

What fun to imagine a new quilt and HSTs are the most versatile to work with. Enjoy the process! I'll be delighted to watch this quilt grow.

Yesterday we got almost 3" of rain in 45 minutes and may have slipped a tad toward North Caroline as it's south of us, globally speaking. ;)

Hugs!