Sunday, July 30, 2023

What a day..............


The storm I mentioned at the end of the last post came roaring through and the power went out 10:45 Friday night.  I didn't sleep well, 70 degrees with 70 dew point (100% humidity), waking up many times and looking at my watch.  9:30 yesterday morning (after power had been out 11 hours) my son brought his generator over and we plugged in the fridge, my phone, and a fan. It ended up that it was a tree and lines entangled and ComEd had to wait for the tree removal crew to come and take care of the tree first and they estimated 11 p.m. last night or 3 p.m. today.  Luckily the tree guys got there quicker and power was back on before 1 p.m. yesterday.  I was happy to turn the A/C back on since it was still very humid and quite warm.  There were at least 4 small tornadoes with this storm and I expect to hear there were more.  

I was so exhausted from not sleeping well that I didn't do much.  I realized that I was short 8 squares on the top and bottom purple/red/gold borders so I pieced some more squares and got them sewn on.  That's it. Nothing more.

I did go out in the early evening and picked up branches in the back garden and yard.  I only had one large branch that didn't break completely off a Redbud tree and my son sawed it off when he came back to get his generator.

The good news is that we had rain 3 times this past week with over an inch total spread out nicely over a 4 day period.  Now a nice week of low to mid 80s with lower humidity.

8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hate it when the power goes off - even if we have things to occupy our time it just "feels" different. You are out of routine. that is very humid weather! Glad you didn't have much damage in your area

Nann said...

The scary thing about the power going off is the not-knowing when it will come back! But nowadays there are hotlines and mass emails to notify abut outages and repair crews. Glad you're back in business.

Julierose said...

WOW that is frightening weather--and to be left w/o AC in this heat and humidity is actually dangerous. Glad to hear you are back online and have AC.
Really pretty colors in the squares you've put together.
I am going to be resting on the deck today as our temps have dropped and the DP lowered too with last night's storms. No damage where we are, but up North of us I hear they were deluged!! Have a nice restful rest of your Sunday--hugs, Julierose

MissPat said...

How lucky that your son had a generator to bring you so you didn't lose all the food in your fridge. We had .5" of rain over 4 hours, and no lightning or wind, although others in the area had up to 4" of rain. I read this morning that the Wash DC area had terrible wind with lots of tree damage (and cars from trees falling on them). Hope you slept well last night.
Pat

JJM said...

What a nasty storm ! Scares me just to hear about it. Good for Scott to come to your rescue. I totally understand a sleepless night and and an exhausting day after. Take another day to catch your breath.

JJM

Barbara Anne said...

At about 8p last night, we had a storm roar thru preceded by high winds (no trees sown, thank God) that we wondered might signal a tornado - but it didn't! The torrential rain that may have been near 1/2". The official total was about 1/3" but they measure across the James River from where we live.

Love your row of HSTs and am glad you gave yourself permission to take it easy after a night of hot, restless sleep.

Hugs!

Mystic Quilter said...

Pleased you survived the storm without too much damage. I would hate to be without power for so long, good thing your son had a generator. Hope you're having a better day today.

Mary said...

Wow! You really did have a time of it. I'm glad your son was able to provide a generator and save the food in your refrigerator. Hope by now you are rested from all the stress.