Friday, July 7, 2023

Continuing on..............


With success on the small quilt, I kept going and loaded this Snail's Trail quilt and got it quilted yesterday afternoon.  I did the straight line quilting in groups of 2 and 3 lines.  That's as far as I got because I wanted to mow the backyard when the dew point and temperature both dropped enough to be comfortable.  I'll trim it and cut binding today.


After mowing I filled the birdfeeders and then I noticed this Common Burdock growing on my lot line.  It was next to a deteriorating tree stump and when I gave it a tug it came out, root and all.  I usually try to dig them out but the roots are so deep they usually just break off at about 8" and then the plant comes back the next year.  I had never seen one pull out with a complete root.  Those leaves are about 18 - 20" tall.


The Burdock was starting to send up a tall center stalk which would have bloomed and formed burrs.









The Coneflowers look white as evening approaches but they are pink.

 

11 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

The snails trail is beautiful, the straight line quilting looks very nice. It looks like the burdock roots couldn't grow as deeply as they usually do. You were fortunate to get it pulled out! When they're along the edge of the yard, I like to cut them off at ground level then put a half cup of salt on them. That usually sets them back.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love the fabric and colors you used for your snails trail the quilting looks great on it too

JJM said...

Love the motion swirl of Snails Trail and soft colors of the waves you have created. Nice, neat and tidy quilting.

That ole burdock sure brought back memories of IL…. Those rains you’ve had, had to help get that total root pulled out after those long hot weeks of dryness.

JJM

Karen said...

That burdock was a natural lead-in to Lynn Dykstra's latest quilt!
(https://kleinmeisjequilts.blogspot.com/)

I was especially intrigued to see the plant after reading Lynn's post about the burrs. I don't think we have them in WA state.

As always it's great to see a piece of your pieced-life, garden and quilt.
Karen

Nann said...

Great quilting design, Wanda. But all those straight lines must be tedious, even with a longarm.

Barbara Anne said...

You're Speedy Gonzolez at machine quilting your finished tops and methinks the straight line quilting is perfect for the Snail's Trail quilt. Applause!

We have that unwelcome Burdock here, too, and with the heat, humidity, and my lupus fatigue, it's gone to seed behind my back. Bother!

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

That root was built to break—nature is amazing (and annoying) that way! I’ve loved that snails trail quilt and you chose well to do straight line quilting. It’s another beauty! -Roxanne

Julierose said...

Snail trails is such a beautiful quilt--love how you quilted it with those alternating 2/3 lines!! Looks super;00)
Those pale pink coneflowers are so pretty!!

We are having a bit of a break from the humidity of the past week today--only 79 degrees with 73 DP and a breeze off the ocean that is just a tad cooler--so nice deck sitting weather --perhaps our supper out there even--Summer has come!!;}}}
Hugs, Julierose

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

The straight line quilting you did on that Snail's Trail is just perfect. It sets it off so well! Really pretty all the way around!

Patty said...

I’m behind reading what you have been doing. The green baby quilt turned out wonderful! I really like the striped binding! The Snails Trail quilt is fabulous! I still haven’t made anything out of that same fabric.

Michele said...

Lovely quilt!

Your quilting lines are SO even and straight. WOw

Did you use a ruler? channel locks?