Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Loaded end to end...and binding......and tomato plants and sunflower..........


I wasn't kidding when I said it would take up almost all of the longarm frame.  The backing and batting are loaded and I just laid the folded strippy quilt top on to make sure everything was OK.  I need to vacuum the area before I can start quilting.


One 84" long side is hand stitched on the Snail's Trail quilt and about 18" combined on 2 short sides.  I usually stitch on it while watching the news and weather.


These are the 3 volunteer tomato plants that I transplanted a couple nights ago.  I wonder which variety they are.  There aren't any blooms yet so it will be awhile before I know.  They are about 14" tall and are in the shade of the plants in the front of the bed.





This is one of scrawny $1.50 tomato plants that I bought.  This one is a Big Boy plant.  It has 3 tiny tomatoes on it so far.











These are the other 2 scrawny little plants, now more than 3' tall.  These are both Rutgers variety.












There are a couple bunches of Rutgers tomatoes.  They are about 2" diameter now.  They are a medium size tomato and were one of my favorites the first year I had the raised bed.  I hope they continue to do well in the pots.







Last but not least, the Sunflower has bloomed.  It is prettier than the ones the squirrels planted last year.

 

9 comments:

Helenchaffin said...

the blue quilt is beautiful,your gardening is coming along nicely,I grow a few things as well,I have a chipmunk running around & I think he s the culprit that's eating my squash ,I've heard to put out cayenne pepper around them to deter them do I'll try that,it was nice to come across your blog & stop in for a visit

Julierose said...

WOW! That IS one long quilt!! But a very pretty one...
Your tomatoes are doing so well this year--that is neat!!
69 here and cool this morning...lower dewpoint of 66--and I would've thought that was high a few weeks ago!! It's all relative..Warmer humid weather coming in here tomorrow. Hoping to bring in my machine today after I call for an appointment...hugs, Julierose

Carolyn said...

Rutgers tomatoes are the best! There's another variety from NJ called the Ramapo that I grew last year that are almost as good but you can't beat Rutgers, especially if you live in NJ since they were bred for our soil. I love them.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the loaded quilt even though it is taking up all the roller. I only potted small tomatoes hoping for better results. I am going to have to figure out how to keep away the squirrels as they ravaged the tomatoes last year. Such a short season to grow food!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is a good size quilt you are putting on your machine. I know you like to quilt your quilts simply letting the color and piecing be the stand out so it shouldn't take you real long to do I think.
Some of my tomato plants are very scrawny looking too - tall and thin - someone said that when they start to grow you should cut the tops off that it will help them bush out but I tried that for some of mine and it didn't change how they grew - they are tall and thin anyhow.

JJM said...

Always look forward to which quilting design you select. It always brings out more beauty in each one. And this quilt is so nice and big.

You’re the champion tomato gardener for sure. Love your sunny yellow sun flower.

JJM

Anonymous said...

Such beauty in all your photos today! 🌻 -Roxanne

Barbara Anne said...

Am glad that large and wonderful quilt fit on your machine. Whew!

Love your tomatoes, too. Best tomatoes we used to grow are Romas because you can can them easily and use them for delicious tomato sauce.

Hugs!

Patty said...

That is a lot of quilt you have on your longarm! It is so beautiful and I love all the fun colors in it. You are quite the tomato farmer! I hope they produce at different times so you have fresh tomatoes the rest of the summer. That sunflower is so pretty! What a fun thing that the squirrels planted!