Thursday, July 6, 2023

Getting busy.............


We had a decent size storm headed our way yesterday afternoon so I decided to quilt this little baby quilt before it got here.




After I finished it and unplugged the machine I came upstairs and it was getting really dark.  I noticed the native Coneflowers are blooming in the area with the native Rudbeckia.  I took this photo from the kitchen window as the wind was beginning to blow.  We only got .35" of rain at my house but that is better than nothing.  The grass is starting to green up a little.


Last night I trimmed the little quilt and cut the binding and sewed it on all by machine.











In the end I decided to use the Green Bean fabric by Alexander Henry on the back.  I thought it looked more like peas in a pod but the selvage says Green Bean.  It ended up 29.5" x 36.5".  I used a light green variegated Superior So Fine thread on top and kelly green Superior Bottom Line in the bobbin.  The batting is Hobbs 80/20.

After I finished that I sewed the seam in a backing that I had pressed last week and pressed the seam open and hung it over the longarm.  I hope to load it today.  I already have the batting cut too.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I frequently wonder if the people who name things (e.g. the Green Bean fabric) have actually looked at green beans. This so clearly is pea-like. The green quilt and the green out your window look very related.

Ceci

Linda Swanekamp said...

The quilt is so refreshing looking. It is a little gem. I am binding 3 baby quilts for the H2H challenge that are late because of the cataract surgery complications. They are 50 x 50 and I am doing the bindings all at the same time. Glad the storm was not damaging. We had rain over the weekend, but now it is really hot.

Ramona said...

This little quilt is so adorable! It really puts a smile on my face.

Julierose said...

the baby quilt is amazing!! So lovely--I like the green dotty alternating fabric a lot--and that backing, well...just stunning with it.;) Nice work...
82.7 here with 76 dewpoint--need I say AC is on!! Another inside day for sure...
hugs, Julierose

Quayquilter said...

just right and so neat.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your quilting on the green zigzag quilt. we are having a chance for storms and a little rain all week.

helenreimers said...

The theme for today, green. The green zigzags quilt is adorable. Green beans on the back totally great. And all the green in the yard, perfect. What a variety of greens.

JJM said...

Your brilliant green zig-zag fabrics are so vivid and attractive together ~ plus straight line quilting couldn’t have been any better, makes for a delightful baby quilt to please mom and baby. I’m glad you chose the green bean backing, looks great with front.

JJM

Nann said...

Love the greens and the quilting design. The rain late yesterday precluded my driving (15 miles each way) to the guild meeting last evening.

Kristin said...

I love your green and white zig zag baby quilt!

Anonymous said...

I’m glad that green bean fabric went on back. It’s perfect with all those green zigzags. Great quilt, Wanda!! -Roxanne

Barbara Anne said...

What a delightful baby quilt and that backing fabric is perfect for it!

The view out your window is wonderful, too. Hope you get the rain you need.

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting it done before the baby arrives! It's a beauty of a quilt.

Kay in KS

Vicki W said...

That turned out great! I love the green bean backing.