Sunday, July 23, 2023

First border sewn on ....................


It took me awhile but I finally got brave enough to cut the striped fabric borders.  The corner triangles are a companion piece to the stripe.












Then I pieced some portions of the 2nd border so I could see how it is going to look.  I added loose pinwheel blocks on the design wall next.  After the pinwheels is another stripe fabric border and 2 more borders follow that.


Before sunset last night I slipped out to take a couple photos.  The orange Tiger Lilies are starting to bloom in the back garden.  There are tall brown eyed Susans partially blocking the view and they haven't started blooming yet.


The Black Eyed Susans are looking good and Coneflowers came up all over the garden.

It cooled off nicely so I decided to mow the back yard and when I finished that I mowed half of the front yard.  It is going to be in the 90s many days this week so I need to get the mowing done while it is comfortable outside.

12 comments:

Nancy J said...

Wow, the borders and the next lot, looking wonderful.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is a very thick pretty garden of flowers.
adding that border to the hst's sure changed the look - I like the next part the darker colors and then the next too - looking good

Rose said...

Love your Fonthill ! This is going to be beautiful. I am eagerly following your progress and read your Blog every morning, Your work is very inspiring! I have the book Passionate Patchwork and have decided to make my own version of Fonthill. I am gathering fabrics, etc. I love making pinwheels and fabric play and I am finding much pleasure in the process. So thankful I found you and your Blog …. which is my daily inspiration, YOU are amazing! Thank you ,
Rosemary

Julierose said...

those borders are just lovely--nice work!!
79 here today--a bit warmer but lower DP at 67...hoping to take a stroll by the River after Formula One Race...hugs, Julierose

JJM said...

Fonthill ~ I’m wondering about the name and what it means and what the connection is ? I like what I see growing around center panel.

Thick, lush, and pretty garden of blossoms.

JJM

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your version is going to be stunning. And your flower garden is looking like a perfect summer's day. Beautiful!

Barbara Anne said...

Fonthill i growing by leaps and bounds! Beautiful fabric choices and 1st border as well as the other block units that will be the next borders. Hope you're proud of yourself and are having fun!

Hugs!

Nann said...

I didn't realize the border fabric had flowers strewn on the stripes. It echoes the original pattern so well! Yes, hot weather will be back. I get halfway down the basement stares and feel the difference in temperature.

Linda Swanekamp said...

It is amazing to see the quilt come together. The final book photo does not do it justice. It will be a tad warm here this week also, not my favorite weather.

Karen H said...

The quilt is looking great, Wanda. I enjoy seeing the different steps in your process. I haven't commented or even read many blogs in a long time! I haven't been sewing at all this summer, I just had my second knee replacement last Monday. In addition to that, I am getting ready to move to Arizona, so trying to sort through many years of stuff. I have been in this house for 30 years, and I've accumulated a lot!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

It's all looking amazing! I do love the Kaffe border and those pops of purple colour in the border HST & pinwheels are so effective.

Vicki W said...

That quilt is going to be ahhhhhmazing!