Monday, July 17, 2023

It's quilted...................


I was calling this strippy quilt the beast yesterday.  It is the largest I have quilted for quite awhile.  It was 79" x 99" before quilting.  I expect it to be a couple inches narrower but probably still 99" long when finished.  I planned all along to do organic straight line quilting free hand on this one since the piecing is so wonky.


The first 2 threads I tried shredded and broke but the third one made it all the way through only breaking 3 times.  That isn't bad on a batik front and back and all of those seams.  I hope to get it trimmed today and the binding might be the same fabric as the backing and all by machine on this one.

I also got my mowing done fairly early in the day. The grass was still a little wet from dew but I didn't want to wait until later in the day.

 

9 comments:

Helenchaffin said...

it turned out beautifully,looks like a good cuddly quilt,I know your proud to be at the finish line

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

why does the thread break and shred with the batik and how do you fix that? would it technically be the wrong thread to use then? you know I know nothing about using a long arm lol

Julierose said...

This is looking so beautiful!! That is a lot of quilting through seams for sure!! Nice work ;)))
75.8 here just before 9 a.m. with a DP of 74--and a very hazy sky..at least we got a full day of rain yesterday to freshen the garden plants and lawns...
Stay cool...hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love this quilt!!! Especially because I rarely use a batik backing or even batiks in the tops as Max does not like stitching on them at all. Congratulations for getting the Beast quilted and happier stitching on the machined binding!

JJM said...

Straight line quilting stitches adds to the stripes even more. There is such beauty in your ‘Beast’, and I can see the hours of work that has gone into it. What helps you decide whether to hand or machine stitch your bindings ? And I know absolutely nothing about a long arm but when a thread breaks do you have to tie it off before beginning again?

JJM

Nann said...

99"? That's a big one! We had a thunderstorm roll in just before 1 a.m. I heard it roll out, too, about 2 a.m. Grass is still wet as I type (10:30).

Mary said...

Finishing a quilt of that size is quite an undertaking, and it's beautiful.

Barbara Anne said...

Applause, applause! You did such beautiful quilting on this amazing quilt and those quilting lines compliment your batik strips. :)

Hugs!

Vicki W said...

It's such a cool quilt! Batik sure can be beastly to quilt through.