Friday, July 21, 2023

Number 3 finish for July............and more............


Back when I finished this quilt top I called it Impov Strippy so I think that is its name.  It came out 77.5" x 98.5" after quilting and binding.  I have to say I love this one.  I used a brown variegated YLI cotton thread on top and a black/green Superior Bottom Line bobbin thread.  The quilting is organic straight lines.

I had a queen size Hobbs 80/20 batting in a bag from quite a few years ago.  I took it out and put it in the dryer for 10 minutes and then laid it out over a table for about 3 weeks to get all of the deep wrinkles out of it.  It was the perfect size to use for this quilt.
Binding is the same fabric as the backing and done all by machine.

The strips in these blocks were all of the first cuts to straighten my batik fabrics, two sewn together, cut in half, sew together again, cut in half and sew together again and you have 8 stripes in each block.  They were all trimmed to the same height but widths varied because I don't always cut off the same amount when straightening the fabric.  Blocks were trimmed square on the sides and the rest is design wall play.



I think there are 100 blocks, maybe a few more so there would be around 200 different fabrics.  I think there were a few strips repeated.











There are a lot of ugly batiks in this quilt but the few pretty ones take center stage and the others are just supporting actors.












I still had the small piece of the fabric in my main floor studio that would be the wide borders in this Fonthill quilt.  I pinned it up and it looks OK with the center panel I designed the day before.











But.....I found a little pile of lighter triangles that I had cut last week and hadn't used yet.  There are 15 total here and they will replace the squares that have navy blue in them.  I know I'll be happier with that.  So, maybe I might get the center sewn today, maybe not.



It cooled down last evening so I pulled weeds in my front garden and sprayed weed killer on all of the weeds growing in the cracks of the driveway.  When they start dying I'll put on gloves and go out and start pulling them out.

14 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

pretty quilts - so often if you mix the "ugly" fabric in with the rest one never notices it and you get rid of it!

Mary said...

Improve Strippy is gorgeous. Given how the pairing and layout are done, I would have a hard time finding "ugly" fabrics!

Julierose said...

Improv Strippy turned out beautifully--another golden one finish for you!!:)))
I like the border print you've chosen for Fonthill--it is so soft and pretty
against the triangles...
71 here under cloudy skies with a DP of 70--so we may get some rain showers...
very muggy though. No outside walk for me today--treadmill it will be...
I hope to set up Helga for machine quilting today...hugs, Julierose

JJM said...

Enjoyed the details on the creating Improve Strippy. It is one glorious quilt.

And three quilts completed for July has to feel so good.

And now you’ve added your sunshine yellows to Fonthill … love the glow they add.

JJM

Nann said...

The improv scrappy design turned out beautifully! And your Fonthill construction project is coming along nicely. The lighter HSTs will lighten things up.

Penny Schine Gold said...

Yes, Improv Strippy is gorgeous! And thanks much for the tip about putting batting in the dryer to get out the wrinkles. I've always ironed them out. The dryer will be MUCH easier!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Fonthill's center will benefit from those lighter HSTs. And I appreciate you sharing how you made Improv Strippy. Such a straightforward method but with such stellar results!

MaryJo said...

Yes ! Thanks for explaining how you did the improv blocks. It came out great!

I agree, I think you'll be much happier with the forgotten HST's for the Fonthill quilt. Thanks for reposting the photo of your inspiration.

Barbara Anne said...

What excellent use of those ugly batiks as they peacefully co-exist with the joyful jumble of glorious batiks in your newly finished Strippy quilt!

Hope you've done some happy dancing with pleasure and delight over this 3rd finish in July!

Hugs!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Just love all those skinny batik blocks! It is such a super unique quilt. All those small HSTS just make me smile. Love them.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I'm enjoying following your progress with your Fonthill quilt. The border you've chosen works so well, and I think adding in those lighter HSTs is a great decision.

Patty said...

Congratulations on your third finish for the month! It turned out so good! You are making great progress on the center panel for Fonthill.

Mystic Quilter said...

Excellent way to use the clean up cuts, great design.This reminds me of one of the quilts in the new book from Kaffe - Corrugated - I think I'll put all his stripes I have stashed away and use them, he's also put a few squares of Shirt Stripes and Jupiter in the quilt.

Vicki W said...

What a beautiful quilt. I hope it finds just the right bed soon.