Thursday, July 20, 2023

Fonthill center........and binding finished


To start this post here is a reminder of the Fonthill quilt in one of Kaffe Fassett's books of which I am making my own version.  I worked on the center section yesterday.  I have changed the size of it to 8 across and 14 down for a more rectangular quilt.






This was my first layout.  I am using a lot of triangle squares that were leftover from another project and that is where the ones with the stripe came from.  I decided that print was too distracting.











I thought layout two was looking pretty good with those stripes replaced with plainer fabrics.  Then I noticed the obvious diagonal lines below the center of the layout.  That was too distracting for me so I started moving around the squares.










I was happy with layout three and was ready to sew it together until I remembered I had changed the thread on the machine to black so I could do the binding on the large strippy quilt.

I can see I have a higher contrast in most of my squares that there are in the original.  Maybe I should cut the striped border strips next and see if I want to change out some of the highest contrast squares.






I switched to the binding project and got it all sewn by 10:30 last night.  It is huge.  I think I will get it up on the design wall in the basement today and get its photo taken.  The double wall is 84" x 96" and the quilt is around 77" x 99". 

9 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Moving around all those little pieces is a lot of brain work. I can see why you went to something bigger for a while. It is all looking good.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sure is a lot of hst's in this quilt. I like the changes you made pulling out some of those pieces

JJM said...

Enjoyed seeing your progress changing center piece for Fonthill and love your final layout choice. And happy to see ‘Strippy’ is complete.

JJM

Helenchaffin said...

It's funny how the smallest things can make us crazy lol I recently made 12" red & white blocks & you'd think they'd work seeing their all red - white but noooo🤣 I luv your little squares & how it's going

Julierose said...

There is a lot to figure out with the Fonthill project, isn't there? So many little triangles to look just right for that center--takes a lot of care and patience. Of which you display so much on your pieces...;)))

79.9 here, but only (imagine saying only!!) 69 dewpoint. Hot, but not so humid--is your place really buggy? Gosh, we get attacked the moment we step outside. I am nursing a ga-zillion mosquito bites that swell way up!! Ugh!! ;(((

I am working on Moon Garden and going to change a few things; omitting
Mr. Eagle and the kitty--just too difficult to pull off for me...I think a nice moon with those stars should be okay...decisions, decisions, right?
hugs for a nice, cool weekend Julierose

Barbara Anne said...

I never tire of the many, many ways HSTs can be put together! The 3rd layout for your Fonthill center looks just right, too.

Hope your shoulders aren't fussing at you after you wrestled with the huge strippy quilt!

Hugs!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Congratulations on getting to the center-ready-to-assemble point. If it were me, I would cut the surrounding strips before I started attaching the HSTs together (just to prevent un-stitching). HOORAY for getting the binding on the Beast (it needs a better name - it is so gorgeous).

Mystic Quilter said...

The third layout is my favourite, I can see why you lost the striped HST's in the first layout, definitely a distraction.
This is beautiful centre for Fonthill! Beast is one huge quilt, I congratulate you on dealing with such a large quilt.

Patty said...

I like the final layout you came up with. That stripe did stick out. You’re making great progress on the striped quilt. That is a big one for you!