Thursday, July 27, 2023

Striped border cut...........


The last 2 striped borders were cut and sewn on and the bottom border section assembled.  Then I sewed on the top and bottom sections.






At that point I decided it was too hot to leave the iron on so the 5th border didn't get sewn on yet.  I counted pinwheels and like I thought, I need 50 more to complete the last double row borders.  I have 10 already cut and paired but need to cut triangles for the last 40.

The dew point was 75 in the afternoon.





In the morning it started to get dark as a storm was approaching.  I decided to take a photo of my back garden from the kitchen window in case it was a high wind or hail storm.  As it turned out we just got 1/4" of rain and then the sun came out and it was oppressive with the humidity.  Another 2 days of 90s and then we go down to low 80s for a day or 2.

This Black Eyed Susan is growing in the crack between sections of sidewalk by my front porch.  I thought it looked like 2 plants a week ago and I tried to pull out half of it.  It came out with only a few roots and I planted the pieces.  I wasn't sure they were going to live but they are starting to perk up.  I don't know whether to try to pull this part out or not.  The mailman walks right across here as he goes to the next house so I'm hoping he won't step on it.

The white Moss Rose plant has the most blooms, the yellow one behind it to the right.








The orange one is at the other end of the front garden.  I want to move this one over by the other 2 so maybe it will be cool enough Saturday to do it.











I'm a little disappointed in my porch pot plants this year.  The lime Sweet Potato vine is huge and has taken over all three pots.  Last year the Petunias were the overachievers.  My Pansies are hanging in there even though they don't like hot weather.  There are only about half of them in the pot now.  I was hoping the pink Petunias in the porch railing black pots would drape over and hang down but no success yet.

10 comments:

Mary said...

I've been very tempted to plant sweet potato vines. Maybe next year. You really are having oppresive heat for your area. I hope you get the relief in temperature that is predicted.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your flowers are so pretty as is the quilt top! I have grown a sweet potato vine before but I did the ones that actually grow the potatoes below them. I'm pretty sure there are two kinds one is just the vine and the other is the garden variety which has a pretty plant on top and grows the sweet potatoes also

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

The dark and red half squares really draw out the colors inside the quilt - this is just beautiful!!!

Julierose said...

That is super hot and humid for sure!! It is totally overcast and humid here today too; feels like the skies are low and that rain must be just hanging there...I went out early and did our food shopping before the heat of the day..
79 here now with 76 DP--ugh!! We have become "mole creatures" living inside all the time...The deer came and ate up ALL the lilies--glad I snapped a shot when I did!!
Your Fonthill is coming together so well--just lovely...
hugs, Julierose

Barbara Anne said...

Fonthill will be finished before you know it and it's looking wonderful!

I make my HSTs by drawing that diagonal line on two squares that are right sides together, sew 1/4" on both sides of the line, and have two matching HSTs. In busy large quilts, matching doesn't matter and there are no bias edges.

You also have a very green thumb!

Hugs!

Nann said...

We had two cloudbursts yesterday. The first occurred as I was pulling into the parking lot at the doctor's office -- fortunately by the time the appt was done the storm had blown over. The second was brief. Yes, hot and humid today! I need to mow but that will have to wait....But there was a news story that said it is so hot in Sicily that *underground* electrical cables have melted.......Thinking of the actual Fonthill in Pennsylvania -- it's a big old stone building so it would be fairly cool today.

MissPat said...

I stopped planting sweet potato vine as it is a thug, especially in smaller pots and planters. It's a nice trailer in oversized planters, though. Storms went all around us the last two days. Some places nearby got over 2", while we had a sprinkle or two.
Pat

Mystic Quilter said...

Wanda, Your Fonthill quilt is looking awesome!!! A real stunner and I'm so pleased that you did go with the Lille fabric which you showed me a few months ago, couldn't have chosen anything better!

JJM said...

Fonthill addition 👌

JJM

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A beautiful quilt! I love your colour combos in this, especially the Kaffe stripe.