Sunday, July 2, 2023

Searching for backing fabric..............


This is the fabric I wanted to use on the back of the green zig zag baby quilt but I only have one yard.  I can use it sideways with the stripes of green beans running crosswise instead of lengthwise.



But then I was thinking black and white is what babies see first and maybe this fabric with houses and dogs might be good.  I have a lot of it.





For scale here are the two fabrics side by side.

I kept looking for another choice.





I have enough of this fabric for the back of at least three of these little quilts and maybe enough to use the cutaways for the triangles on the front of one of them.




If I want the back to be bright multicolor I also have enough of this one for several quilt backs.  Does that take away from the quilt being all green on the front (when I wanted it to be green on the back too)?



When I went out to fill the birdfeeders I noticed the native prairie Rudbeckia blooming.






There is a large area of them and there are native Purple Coneflowers near them too.  It should be colorful soon.





The very first Coneflower is starting to bloom.







Near that Coneflower is a Sunflower that the squirrels planted.

For the last 2 days rain storms were headed our way and every time they either split and went north and south or just dried up.  The driveway was wet yesterday morning but there wasn't a drop of rain in the rain gauge.  Also the flower bed closest to the house was totally dry.  They are promising rain for today and I hope we get some this time.  Areas northeast of me had flooded streets with over an inch and a half of rain.

9 comments:

JJM said...

No matter which backing fabric you decide on, I know it will be the perfect one. My favorite is the 4th photo down.

JJM

Jocelyn said...

Sometimes backing fabric can be a decision that takes time and effort. You will figure it out.

Barbara Anne said...

I also like the light, cheerful happy print in the 4th photo as I think it compliments the zig-zags and doesn't compete but it's up to you!

Pretty flowers! How helpful to have squirrels do some of the planting. :)

Hugs!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love the pea pods! What if you made a giant four patch block using the pea pods in two of the sections and that wonderful black and white in the other two sections? If not, then the black and white as a single fabric block (so graphic with so many details to look at as the baby grows up). (I do love the bright multicolor in photo 4 but I don't think it suits this particular quilt).

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

those are all nice fabrics to use!

Julierose said...

I really like the Cats and dogs fabric for the backing...so cute; and won't compete with the front. All your fabrics are so pretty though--it will be a difficult choice...We woke up to rain, smoke laden skies and very muggy weather this morning. It has been an inside AC day for us.
I finally sewed the first 6 rows (of 7 each0 of the Pavement blocks together--tomorrow i will sew those rows together to make my flimsey. I tried my best to get a random placement--not so easy I found out!! I will also be looking for a cute backing in my pared down stash... Hugs, Julierose

Patty said...

The green fabric is so cute! I don’t think you could go wrong with any of those fabrics. It rained on and off here all day. I would guess we got almost an inch.

Florida Farm Girl said...

That green bean fabric calls to me. I am ever amazed to see what fabrics you have found over the years, and KEEP finding!

Kristin said...

That green bean fabric is fun. You have the best stash!