Tuesday, June 13, 2023

What I'm doing in the basement...........


For many years my Kaffe fabrics were in those lavender storage bins and then I put them out in the open on these 2 shelf units a couple years ago.  All of the Kaffe small yardage (not enough for lengthwise borders or backings) is now upstairs on a shelf unit or two in my bedroom.  On these units I will leave the big bins on their sides on the lower shelves so I can pull the bin off and set it on a chair to look through it.  There are 2 closer shelves below them that will hold the 4" tall storage bins.  I have started filling these shelves now with fabrics that I haven't been able to get at easily before.


Still in the basement I have one storage bin with low volume Kaffe prints and some larger yardage pieces.













In the other half of that big bin there are some more larger pieces.  There are a couple Philip Jacobs pieces in this one.











On the lid of that bin are some more low volume prints, a couple Brandon Mably in here.  Here is a post from 3 years ago with another shot of these.






I first showed this quilt in November 2007, the first year of my blog.  I was inspired by the Fonthill quilt (the current quilt I'm working on)  from Passionate Patchwork way back then.  I designed my own though at that time rather than making it like that one.  


Here is the Fonthill quilt I am making now.  Deeper tones and 2 wide borders added, in addition to all triangles.

13 comments:

Mary said...

You have really done a lot of organizing. Fonthill looks like a very challenging project.

Nann said...

I think of your basement storage as the Kaffe Fassett Archive. LOL. I like the early quilt and I've been admiring your new Fonthill as it comes along.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is amazing that you have so much from one designer - but then if you know what you like why not? My fabric hops all over the place - I don't collect by designer but more what color I need and when I need it

Jayne Honnold said...

I thought of you often yesterday as I loaded a Kaffe Fassett blue quilt - Economy - onto the longarm machine. I have so many wonderful blues in this quilt, and I wondered how many and how much I still have. My storage is waaaaaay more haphazard than yours. It's a subject for an entire blog post, for sure. I may do it, too. Love seeing how you've used your KF fabrics, and I see many that we have in common.

Julierose said...

Love those deeper tones you are working with now--really pretty.
This morning was an early food shopping trip for me--we had a bit of rain last night so it was very muggy out. Temp 67 now and 95% humidity--yuck!!
Gray skies once again here...we need some sunshine soon...hugs, Julierose

piecefulwendy said...

organizing fabric takes a lot of thought and moving and shifting of things, but you look like you have a good method there. Your two Fonthill quilts are so interesting, so different and yet the same. I like the more intense colors of the second quilt. I've been using some Kaffe fabrics lately, and wishing I had more in my stash!

JJM said...

Oh Wanda ~ what a grand post today, such fun fabrics to see and your quilt from 2007 is awesome.

I knew you had a huge job ahead with moving your fabrics up stairs. And it looks like you’re about finished with the move ?

JJM

Barbara Anne said...

What wonderful storage space and bins you have for your delicious fabric stash! I am so glad your new organization allows you to access your fabrics more easily and can foresee even more marvelous quilts in your future. :)

Hugs!

Quiltdivajulie said...

The Fonthill quilt is stunning and I suspect your version will be even moreso . . . but I am very much in love with the earlier version that you shared today. The colors as well as the smaller, less symmetrical design field really appeal to me.

cityquilter grace said...

ooh i love that stash of kaffe lights...but then i love ALL kaffe prints...tee hee

Kristin said...

You have the best fabric! I love your quilt from 2007, and the new one. You are so productive!

Kristin said...

You have the best fabric! I love your quilt from 2007, and the new one. You are so productive!

Vicki W said...

I'm a little envious. I haven't done a deep reorg of my fabric in about 10 years. I find reorg projects very energizing and it might be time to schedule one for myself!