Saturday, June 3, 2023

Searching through fabrics.............


I'm using this photo of the corner of the Fonthill quilt (mentioned yesterday) to talk about fabric selection.  The book gives some references to value and colors of the prints, stripes  and plaids and where they are located in the quilt.  I hadn't ever read all of that detail before.  The dark fabric in the half square triangle borders is the same all the way through the inspiration quilt and Kaffe describes it a a green pin dot on a charcoal background.


A lot of the fabrics in my version will be batiks so that is where I looked first.  This is a muted purple with dots that may be gray or gray-blue or grayed blue-green.  Since I can't name the color it isn't noticeable as anything other than a lighter value dot.  This fabric may work for the large amount of triangles in the 2 borders and also in the larger pinwheel triangles.  I have a couple yards of it and I wanted a considerable amount of purple in my quilt.  In fact mine will have more purple than blue. 


For the wider borders he calls for a batik with streaks of color although I'm pretty sure he used an Ikat yarn dyed woven fabric.  I looked through my 2 shelves of multicolor batiks and found this one.  I won't know if it is a possibility untll I have made the center section of all triangles and possibly the triangle borders that go on each side of the stripey fabric.  I'm still considering the choice I showed yesterday.

There will be lots of regular prints in my quilt and I'll look through my plaids and stripes for some that will look OK in a 2" finished triangle.  There will be a few Kaffe's small prints used too.  I can't see any of Kaffe's fabrics except his yarn dyed woven stripes in the original (inspiration) quilt.  


I have been dealing with hip pain the last few days so I waited too late in the day to get a good photo of the Red Weigela bush.





I decided to back up and get the whole bush in the frame but the shadow from the neighbor's roof and the slanted sunshine at almost 8 p.m. have it looking a little strange.   I think I may have caught the golden hour again. There is a volunteer tree growing up through the center of it too and I'll need my big loppers to cut that down....maybe on a cooler day.  90 yesterday and close to that the 2 days before that and the same predicted today.

7 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh, I think I'm going to love Fonthill!

Anonymous said...

This will be a fun one to watch you create—not exactly matching and making it your own exuberant style! -Roxanne

Julierose said...

Sorry about your hip pain!! All that gardening perhaps?
My hands, after de-stashing and all that involved, and my normal sewing etc, have had it. So, today is a resting day....I did one line of hand quilting and know now that I can no longer do any--my two pieces will be machine quilted...

Only 51 this morning--gray and cloudy...with 18-20 mph winds to add to that mix. The cold front came in early this morning...back to early Spring weather..
Have a great weekend hugs, Julierose

Barbara Anne said...

I am so looking forward to your version on Fonthill as I know it will be wonderfully colorful as are the other quilts of yours that I've seen.

Hope you can peruse fabrics or read a good book while sitting to rest your hip.

What a beautiful Weigela!

Hugs!

Mystic Quilter said...

You make a good point on reading the detail, something I must do later. I'm thinking that I might look at making up a slightly brighter version of Fonthill, now my leg is feeling much better I can look through more fabrics. Yes, the border does look more of a batik when the photo is enlarged.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the hip pain. I’m commenting on Monday the 5th so maybe you’re feeling better by now. Patty the quilt lady

Nann said...

The ikat-sort-of border in Kaffe's Fonthill is what threw me off years ago when I did a fabric pull. I'll be interested to see what you use.