Thursday, June 15, 2023

Look what I did!!............


I just had to go back to the nursery where I buy most of my plants yesterday.  The tomato plants were looking a little neglected and they were marked down to $1.50 each.  I got 2 Rutgers and 1 Big Boy.  I was so tempted to buy more but told myself no.





I decided to plant them in pots.  My neighbor behind me had 6 walnut trees dropping leaves and walnuts in my yard.  They are toxic to tomatoes so I have my raised bed and pots in the backyard.  I plant them in the ground along my driveway.


This is the Early Girl plant in the raised bed.  The big tomato is starting to turn color.






A couple weeks ago I showed a low growing Sedum that I am not happy with (big yellow areas on a green plant) and actually I have 2 of them in the front garden.  I got some substitute plants and also another red Coneflower to replace the one that died.


I still have a couple empty pots so I got some Petunias and Blackie Sweet Potato vine.  This photo was taken in low light and they are SO much prettier in person.


I finally remembered to take a photo of the big Canna that my friends gave to me last Friday.












Here are the Cannas I planted.  We discussed planting them earlier in the garage for a head start for summer.

 

9 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Everything looks terrific growing. It is so satisfying to see growth and beauty right outside our doors1

Julierose said...

Isn't that just great how your plants are flourishing? ;)))
67.3 degrees here and supposed to hit high 70's today..nice and sunny, too...
a definite walking day and maybe some deck sitting--we all need a bit of relaxation, right? hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

good find on the tomatoes - I like those red cages right now with having mine along the fence and a flimsy old cage around them they are doing fine but I might have to tie them up at some point to the fence. Your tomatoes are coming along nicely. I will need to watch mine closely now for those darn green caterpillars that seem to love tomatoes.

Mary said...

You had a lot of fun at the garden center. Those tomatoes look great.

JJM said...

Fun to see your tomatoes and colorful array of plants and flowers today. Like seeing one of your “Exuberant” quilts.

JJM

Anonymous said...

Your plants are so pretty and those tomatoes will be a treat. Some temptations are better to give into than others!

We're only growing Big Boy tomatoes this year.

Hugs!

Agile Jack said...

I can't believe the tomatoes you have already! I'm sooooo far behind you!!!

And those new tomato plants are HUGE for those little pots!!!

And that canna is going to be spectacular! I had a really pretty yellow one in a pot that a neighbor gave me when she moved last year but it didn't survive the winter. I'm going to remember to pick up some bulbs next year for my patio!

Patty said...

You planted those tomatoes nice and deep so they ought to really take off. It is frustrating when plants die or don’t grow. It looks like you scored some nice plants though! It looks like we might get a bit more rain here tonight.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh what FUN to spend time in the garden center when you know where you can plant things and have such a good eye for color and texture. VERY happy for you!