Saturday, June 17, 2023

Sewing triangles, pulling weeds.............

Since the morning started out cloudy yesterday, my plan was to go out and plant 3 new purchases.  By the time I was ready to do it the sun was out and that area doesn't get fully shaded until after 4 p.m.  I decided to sew triangles until I ran out of bobbin thread.


There were four of each variety except the bottom right which there are 8.  These are for the Fonthill quilt.          








I have been doing some refiguring the shape and size of this quilt.  The center panel is 15 squares down which necessitated putting in a half pinwheel in those side borders.  By shortening it to 14 I could eliminated the half pinwheels.  Then to make it more rectangular I am making the center panel 8 squares across instead of 12 to gain the more rectangular shape.  So far I'm just making parts and soon I need to figure how many of everything I need.

Late afternoon yesterday when I went out to do my planting I realized the ground was too hard because we have only had a half inch of rain in the last month.  Even though I watered it the night before it wasn't softened up.  I watered the whole front garden again and more heavily in the area where I need to dig.  Hopefully it will be easy to dig today.  So since I couldn't do that I dug out a thorny bush next to one of my Compact Burning Bushes and also dug out a few tall weeds in the grass.  The root on them was the size and shape of a carrot.  Then I pulled out a lot of tall weeds in the back garden and cut down the Tree of Heaven that keeps coming back every year. That was enough for one day.

6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

talk about hard ground. We hadn't had much rain for about 3 weeks and then had 2 inches - but yet when I was pulling weeds out of the strawberry beds I was encountering dry beds! I pushed mulch aside a little bit in all the beds to check and see and sure enough they needing to be watered - where did all that water got - I couldn't believe it hadn't soaked in good. I hope your able to plant now.

Mary said...

I like the modifications you are making to the pattern. A samller, rectangular quilt is better, I think.

I need to pull weeds, too! It's a never-ending chore.

Julierose said...

Our ground is hard as a rock, too, here. We only had .12 of rain last night...
we were hoping for an all-night rain...;(((
I think it's awfully early in the season for such dryness--so far no water restrictions here--but I am thinking soon...
66 here this morning and smokey skies again...staying in this time--don't want to start up my coughing fits again!!
Hugs Julierose
P.S. don't overdo...;)))

Linda Swanekamp said...

I got the last few plants in yesterday and then mulched everything. This year I could not fine decent mulch- even the same brand as last year. Very chunky and yucky. Since I got the gardening done yesterday, I hope to get some quilting done today even if it is a nice day outside.

Barbara Anne said...

Love your new pinwheels and your method of making parts and counting how many you need a little later!

We got to thunderstorms yesterday and lost power for 90 minutes during the late afternoon. It seems to me that the skies were much darker than usual, too, but perhaps that was because I needed a flashlight to read.

Hugs!

Mystic Quilter said...

Interesting to read of your changes with Fonthill, I must go study the pattern in more detail to figure exactly how it will look. I'm thinking of sticking with a more limited colour range for the triangles in the centre panel, it's fun changing up here and there.