Friday, June 2, 2023

Free day to dream..................


I decided to make a collage of all of the pink quilts I have made from 2016 -2023.  This goes to prove there isn't just one quilt that can be made from pink fabric.  So many times I hear a quilter say I have (insert any group of fabric), what should I make with it?  My answer, choose the style of quilt you like and make it.  I prefer piecing.  Most of my applique was done by machine back in the 1980s, long before I had a blog.  What shape do you like?  Triangles and squares are in the majority in my quilts.
Added June 3, 10 p.m.  I realized I forgot this quilt top when I made the pink collage above.  So I can add cutting with a die cutter as another option of ways to decide what to do with a group of fabric.


So what quilt is next?  This collage is 2 photos of the same quilt, left photo taken outside and right taken inside.  Maureen and I have both been wanting to make this Fonthill quilt from a 2001 Kaffe book and we decided now is the time.  We have emailed back and forth discussing fabric choices.  See full photo here on Maureen's post (scroll down in her post).  I like the coloration better on the inside photo (right) but as I choose fabrics maybe it will look more like the other photo.  Mainly I want to work quite a bit of purple into it.  Neither of us have the yellow Ikat fabric used for the 2 borders.


I am considering the fabric on the left for my borders.  All three of these are from Kaffe's Lille line from many years ago.  I may end up using the one in the center too for some triangles.  Wish us luck as we work on our versions of Fonthill.  It is going to take awhile to choose the fabrics and cut all of those triangles so don't look for a finish any time soon.  That is the background work of making a quilt, the part that many non-quilters don't take into consideration.  I'm sure they envision a pile of pieces already cut and the sewing machine ready to go.  Many hours precede that part as all of you know too.

10 comments:

Nann said...

Fonthill was the first Kaffe quilt pattern I saw -- it was published in Traditional Quiltworks about the same time the book was published. I now have the torn-out pattern filed in the book. Still haven't made it. When the ALA Midwinter Meeting was in Philadelphia -- maybe 1999? 2000? -- two quilting/librarian friends and I took the train to Doylestown to the Fonthill Castle and Mercer Museum.

And yes! The infinite combinations of fabrics and shapes are what keep quiltmaking exciting.

Julierose said...

Squares are my favorite for sure!! I love all those pink quilts...so pretty...
Already 77 degrees here at 11 a.m.!! It is a lot more humid also--thunderstorms predicted for later on this afternoon--which is fine by me as we really really need rain...so dry out there--powdery even!! Hugs, Julierose

Nancy J said...

Fonthill, this will be the masterpiece of all for you both. And with Maureen here in NZ, although we have not yet met in person, almost 6 hours of driving, we phone often, so I'm sure will keep up to date with both your progress. Not far from me is " Fox Cottage " And there is a huge display of KF fabrics !!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Like you and Maureen, I love that Fonthill quilt. And even as much as I like HTS, right now I cannot add another project to my overflowing list. So I shall relish watching the two of you choose fabrics and share your progress. (and you already know how much I adore your pink quilts)

Elsie Montgomery said...

I'm curious, do you cut/sew triangles or use one of the methods for making several at a time? It does save time and eliminates sewing on the bias. I love HST even more now after trying it that way. Takes a bit of time to get the size right, but worth it!
Love your pinks... and I'm not much of a pink person either, but they are so charming!

MaryJo said...

Love the Twisted Pink ! And I do love your squares too...
Looking forward to seeing your progress on the Fonthill quilt. Love your fabric choices already...

Mystic Quilter said...

How good to see the collage of your pink quilts, what size is the 16patch? Fonthill - I gave some time yesterday to trying to make a decision on the fabric border, came up with one contender, looked good in the large KF piece but didn't work for me with a trial of the first border - back to the drawing board tomorrow. We mentioned before, I think, on the difference in color between the two photos, your yellow fabrics are just stunning, they show me perfectly that the fabric I decided to try yesterday was too busy, lots of different colours, no good.
The Lille range was beautiful, wish he would repeat!!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

All your pink quilts are so pretty! I agree, the joy of making your own quilts is choosing the pattern and color and customizing it to your exact tastes. I look forward to seeing your Fonthill quilt. The fabric choices look enticing already.

Tami Von Zalez said...

Pretty in pink! I like the shape that looks like ribbons.

WesternWilson said...

I will add the Fonthill quilt to my "wanna make" list! It is beautiful and I am a big fan of pinwheels. Now, that's a LOT of half square triangles in that quilt, have you ever worked with the "Triangulations" software, which generates HST papers you can print on your computer? I love that program, makes HST's quickly and accurately: https://www.bearpawproductions.com/shop/Triangulations.htm