Saturday, June 24, 2023

Checking the proportions............


The center panel of the Fonthill quilt will be made with lots of miscellaneous leftover triangle squares so I took a pile of them and did a mock up on the design wall to check out the proportions.  The center panel will be 16" x 28", a 12" difference in width and length.  All of the rest of the borders will add 24" to each side and top and bottom for a 64" x 76" quilt top.  If I decide I want it 80" in length then I need to add 2 more squares to the length.  Meanwhile I keep sewing triangles into squares.



When I leaned down to take a photo of the volunteer tomato plant I see there are 2 side by side.  I wasn't going to dig it and transplant it but now I think I will need to.









The other volunteer tomato plant is tiny.

Yesterday was grocery shopping day and a little garden work, pulling weeds and watering.  I didn't have time to move a quantity of fabric to a new shelf, so maybe today.

 

7 comments:

Julierose said...

Your center panel is coming together really well on this Fonthill piece;)))
So many 1/2 sq. triangles...
I am happy to report we had quite a good rain overnight .58 " (for us, that is, lately)! 66.9 degrees and 66% humidity!! It is still raining lightly----a good day to sew my Scrappy Log Cabins together...then I will have 3 small pieces to border, layer and quilt...
Hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the Fonthill piece is looking good. so many colors and it all flows together so well. Looks like your tomato plants are doing well - we are heading to a string of days in the 100's I wonder how long mine will last I will not be able to keep up with the watering if it last long

Linda Swanekamp said...

Looks like your ground is moist. We had a period of light rain followed by a torrential outburst- first one in months. I am afraid to go out and see what it did to the roses.
Love those teeny triangles.

Barbara Anne said...

Love the HSTs in the growing center of Fonthill! This quilt will be a beauty.

Wish our tomatoes were as large as yours but we started them late.

Hugs!

MissPat said...

We were supposed to have thunderstorms and rain all day today, but only got a few sprinkles. Until 5PM when the heavens opened up and dropped 1.7" in about an hour. At least I got the last of the zinnia and marigold plants in the ground before the rain.
Pat

Connie said...

Looks like your busy as a bee . . . that's summer for you :)
Your garden looks great!

Quiltdivajulie said...

We have never managed a volunteer tomato plant here - we've limited ourselves to the small variety this year (multiple colors of different "cherry" tomatoes). They are producing and we are enjoying. Hooray for progress on your HSTs!