Thursday, August 28, 2008

Big blooms

LC mentioned in her comment about hosta blossoms being small and most really are. Here is the actual size of these sweet smelling ones I showed yesterday. I can easily see these from my kitchen window. This is the largest blooms I have on any of the hostas. Here is another totally different kind of bloom on another hosta. The leaf on this one is longer and skinnier and the flowers are in a cluster. It is just starting to bloom so I'll try to get a better picture in the next couple days.
Here are more of my Rose of Sharon blooms in front of Sedum.
And this is on the basting table about half basted.
In the studio I am making more of these blocks for the next quilt. They haven't been pressed yet and the picture was taken without a flash with the light coming in from the top edge of the photo. I feel like they are organic blocks, untouched by heat and steam.
I hope we get some of the rain they are predicting. I got up with a whopper of a headache yesterday but I had it tamed in time to go out to lunch with a friend. The barometric pressure was pretty high yesterday and today is starting out pretty gloomy. We need the rain before the big county fair next week. We have the largest county fair in IL, the last one of the season starting Wed. after Labor Day each year and lasting for 5 days. We can almost always be guaranteed a heat wave that week. It is brutal on the vendors in the buildings. Take a 90 degree day, an open building and 50-100 people (body heat) walking through. You would think Sept. would be cool weather but that is the exception rather than the rule.

10 comments:

Pattie said...

The flowers are incredible, Wanda. They must be loving the weather that's giving you a headache!

Elsie Montgomery said...

I want to leap into that pile of fabric and roll like some people would do with a bathtub full of money. How's that for a cheerful image! LOL.

May your headaches begone. Do you exhibit in the fair? I don't remember September in IL when we lived there, only January's ice storms. Think of them in the heat.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I have never seen hostas flower that large. They must like living at your house.

We did get some rain here this morning but no sign of the dreadful humidity letting up. I hope you're not horizontal with a bad headache. They are no fun at all, especially when they're so bad you can't do a thing except be still.

As always I look forward to the flowers and the quilts and can't wait to see what you're up to next!

Take good care of yourself!

Anonymous said...

Hi Wanda,
I'm also a collector of hosta varieties, as I have a 75% shady yard.

I bet your hummingbirds like those nice tubular flowers, too.

Love your colors in your newly-sewn blocks.

It's too early to tell where you're going with it, but it's looking like "fall leaves at poolside".
Vicky F

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Hi Vicky F
What part of the country do you live in? do you have a blog?
Wanda

Anonymous said...

Wanda,
I am in West Michigan. Your weather usually heads my direction and hits 8 hours later.

I am blogless at the moment, but a blog would be a fun goal in the next year or so. My local quilting buddies would never look at my blog, though. It would be folks far from home. My friends have a rough time remembering to look at their e-mails!

Vicky F

meggie said...

I remember you blogging about the Fair last year. I would love to be able to go to one, but know the heat would really be hard. Plus I am not a lover of crowds!
I love to see your Hostas. There are a great collection of Hostas in the Christchurch Botannical Gardens & I loved to see them. I dont remember any sweet scented bloome, not those you have shown.
Thankyou,

Cathi said...

I woke up with the headache too -- and again today.
Early September here is almost always really warm. I remember going back to school every year after Labour Day in sweltering heat. I'll take every minute of heat we can get at this point, as I know we're heading towards winter!

jovaliquilts said...

I am loving the quilt you're basting!

Woke up night before last with a headache and it hasn't left me. Never thought about its being weather related. I'm pretty tired of it by today!

TB said...

My hostas' blossoms are much smaller than yours! I've never seen such large flowers on this plant. You must have the ultimate green thumb.