Thursday, September 12, 2024

Some things I found..................


I did my grocery run yesterday morning and I couldn't settle on doing any one thing the rest of the day.  I started going through things in a bookcase and found these 2 magazines, from 1997 and 1998.  The Beanie Babies at that time were so hard to find because everyone was buying them.  I have given all of my Beanie Babies to the great-grandchildren, a few at a time.  It is so hard to throw pristine magazines into the recycling bin (but I sure don't need these).


Then I was cleaning out a bin on a shelf in my studio and found this box of Kaffe Fassett thread that is too pretty to use.  Pathetic, I know.





Next I was looking through the project boxes in a little shelf unit made especially for the boxes.  I know I started cutting these triangles before May 2011 because that is when I bought my Studio die cutter. From that time on I cut the triangles with a die, and the corners are nipped off the triangles on the die.  These triangles have sharp points so they were rotary cut.  I'm really not interested in this color group any more, rust, purple, green and gold.


Then I decided to open the box of blue and green 6" triangles.  This is the same box the pink (pink/gray quilt) triangles were in.  There were a few squares already sewn, leftover from my pink/blue triangle quilt so I laid out a pinwheel block.



The rest of the blues in the box could be considered light fabrics so I could cut some 6" triangles from dark blues to pair with them and make a quilt top.





I decided to sort through the greens while the box was open and then it was late and time for bed.  Not a wasted day, just a day of miscellaneous.

 

15 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

looking thru drawers boxes and such can lead one down a rabbit hole very fast...lol

Julierose said...

You got a lot sorted ot--I sometimes just "forget" what is in bins and boxes up on my top shelf. Always a re-discovery process ;)))
51 this morning with partly cloudy skies--grocery run day today...
that will count toward my walks;)))
I think I may be done with my last BB page...if so I will sew the final two pages together and give it a rest while I figure out a cover for this "chunky monkey" book...Hugs, Julierose

Helenchaffin said...

I've had many where were you when I needed you conversations with my sewing supplies🤣

Linda said...

I tried to give magazines to Goodwill years ago, they wouldn't take them. It's a shame, because I think folks would buy them. That is the kind of day I enjoy in my room - discovery!

JustGail said...

I've got a big stack of old Quilters Newsletter issues, duplicates acquired over the years of building a complete set. Seriously about half of the issues, that I'm debating what to do with. They have to go...somewhere else. Out of my house. The QOV group I belong to said "no thank you". Now where to check...libraries for book sales? quilt guild for their sales? The quilt shop that has a tub of free magazines?
The thread being too pretty to use - not pathetic at all! I'd put it out and enjoy them as decoration. Some do that with fabric bundles, why not thread packs? At least they'd be enjoyed instead of stuffed away. Who knows, maybe the right quilt will come along and you decide to use them?

Donna said...

Maybe if you added a cream color to the rust colors? You might see a beautiful Fall quilt top!
hugs
Donna

Quiltdivajulie said...

Regarding older no longer wanted magazines. Many mixed media artists use magazines for all sorts of reasons so look for local craft groups/artists or art teachers who teach collage and word art to their students.

patty a. said...

It's time to use that thread! Yes, it is pretty, but using it would be a happy experience.

Nann said...

I immediately recalled smoke when you wrote about Beanies. Our library Friends got boxes and boxes of Beanies to sell at the book sale. The owners had been smokers. The Friends volunteers used a lot of Febreeze which kept the smell at bay....until the end of the sale when the odor came back.......... I think you could find a few ways to use those triangles. Put them on the near-future shelf. (Buckeye Beauty maybe?)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Beanie Babies is something I nor my girls ever got into but I know they were popular - looks like you had a full day going through things - use that thread LOL - it is just sitting there :)

Barbara Anne said...

I'd say you had quite a productive day with all the ideas, plans, and decisions you made regarding unwanted nice magazines (mine go to GoodWill and the library), upcoming quilt plans, and perhaps other items for you to sell. Progress in all sorts of directions!

Hugs!

JJM said...

What a fun post to see and read today… yesterday was a good day of taking inventory in your studios. I’m like you with your special box of thread it is too pretty to use. And I think I would pursue your blues and greeens.

MissPat said...

You keep saying you're going to use your pretty fabrics instead of letting them wind up in your estate sale. You should follow the same rule for the Kaffe threads. With all the Kaffe fabrics you use, those threads must match some of it.
Pat

Vicki W said...

My ex-SIL wasted an absolute fortune "investing" in Beanie babies. Collecting them to gift is one thing. Collecting them as an investment was madness.

Mystic Quilter said...

I hope you go ahead stitching up a blue pinwheel quilt top, and I love the green triangles you're showing us - what are the plans for these?