Sunday, September 8, 2024

Memories - 1956................


Sometimes when I cut too many pieces they are a burden.  I spend too many hours trying to figure out what to do with them.  In this case I had gone to the bin with all of the Kaffe "Spot" fabrics and saw a good size piece of this gray/white one.  I had just opened the box with the leftover pink, blue, and green 6"  triangles a day or so before.  This one was meant to be.  I counted the pink triangles (170) and then figured out how many gray/white triangles I could cut out of the piece I had (2 1/2 yards=144 triangles).  I don't know why I had such a large piece of the dotted fabric; it must have been in a really good sale.  This top is 66" x 79".  There are several Tula Pink fabrics in this top as well as Kaffe collective fabrics.

The combination of pink and gray immediately reminded me of the pink/gray trend in 1956.  The guys dressed in gray wool suits with pink dress shirts for all dress up occasions.  It was also the time of the pink felt circle skirts with a gray poodle on them, commonly just called the poodle skirt.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pink and grey - the house I grew up in has a pink and grey bathroom, and it was built in about '59, so right on trend I guess. It's still pretty, but the pink is more uniform than your quilt so much less interesting. So much to learn about colors!

Ceci

Linda said...

Seems like there was another pink trend in the 1980s? I can remember guys wearing pink shirts with their suits. Seems funny to think about now.

Libby in TN said...

I had peddle-pushers in gray with pink poodles.

cityquilter grace said...

very nice...and i've seen 50s bathrooms done in pink and gray tile...

Mary said...

This turned out beautifully and I am amazed at how precise your memory can be about dates.

Donna said...

Reminds me of an afghan I once croched...really pretty colors!
hugs
Donna

Donna said...

Crochet...!!! lol

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

Love this one! Still am drawn to pink and black or pink and anything!

Julierose said...

I had one of those poodle skirts :pink with cray poodle--I remember I was just crazy about it...;)))
This pink and gray quilt is so pretty--the dots really set off those TP fabrics so nicely...
FYI:
Covid-19 shot yesterday: about 8 hrs after the shot I began going downhill: fever, chills, body aches, and really bad headache all night and a totally dead arm from the site of the shot!!! ;(((((
I am bit better this morning...looks like it may be a 24-hr reaction --even Tom, who never has had any reactions, had the same thing!!! Maybe it's cause we're in our 80's...???? Anyway, taking it really easy for sure...[forewarned is forearmed;)))]
hugs, Julierose
Hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I never wore a poodle skirt but remember them. I like the quilt pattern and colors

JJM said...

Enjoyed seeing your pink ‘n gray zig - zag quilt top completed and it’s a beauty. And yes it does being back memories from 1956 . I made a skirt and painted Lady (from Disneys Lady & the Tramp) on the skirt, because I didn’t want to be like everyone else with their Poodles on their skirts.

Barbara Anne said...

What a wonderful quilt!
I turned 5 in 1956 and wanted a poodle skirt but my mother said I was growing too fast and would outgrow it too soon. Sigh! I ended up at 5'1", so that growth spurt didn't take me far!

Hugs!

Penny Schine Gold said...

I really love this quilt! Eager to see what you choose for backing and binding

Vicki W said...

What a cute quilt!

patty a. said...

This top turned out very pretty!

Quiltdivajulie said...

DH had a pink dress shirt and it looked so good on him. Elder son has a couple of pink polos as does Young Man.

Nann said...

You may have named this quilt!

Linda Swanekamp said...

The quilt is lovely, lovely. I was 2 in 1956, so I don't remember any of it. However the 50s color combos were not always my favorites. This quilt is a favorite!

Mystic Quilter said...

Just love this quilt, the beautiful mix of all those pinks sit perfectly with Spot in grey.