Saturday, February 3, 2024

View from the sewing chair.............


I opened the box of batik orphan blocks again.  I do this a couple times a year and end up just putting the blocks back in the box again.

In October last year I sorted all of the blocks by size and clipped them together.

Here is the design wall the last time I played with them.  Very underwhelming.

This time I decided to try a row quilt since they were already sorted by size.  A column quilt with long batik strips between columns might be nice too.


Not up on the design wall is a stack of 16 patch blocks, enough for another row.  There are more Hunter Stars in there too (top row on this layout).






There also was a stack of Double 4 patch blocks.  I will leave the blocks on the design wall for a couple days until I decide if I want to proceed.





This is the first batik orphan quilt that I made in 2019.  I gifted it to a great-niece.

 

9 comments:

Julierose said...

You have lot of pretty orphan blocks to work with...I like that dbl four patch block;)) pretty fabric...
Only 31 this morning but--SUNNY!! At long last a sunny morning...;))))
Resting my hands this weekend and reading a bit..
hugs, Julierose

Mary said...

It's always fun to see what your creative mind cones up with.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

If I try to make an orphan block quilt I am never happy with it. I have about 8-10 blocks put aside right now and not sure what I will do with them. I usually end up selecting a few to make big "hot pads" to rest hot dishes on with the hot pad batting and then stack the rest away again undecided.

JJM said...

What an eclectic array of blocks. And so fun to see each unique block all gathered together on the design wall. Enjoy your weekend playing with them.

JJM

Robin said...

Your orphan quilt is so much nicer than the one I came up with. I think you have to have a knack for these quilts and I obviously don't have it. But, you do!

Anonymous said...

I really like the movement you created on the finished orphan block quilt. The groupings and colors play well together. I can see you doing something just as grand with you current orphan blocks.

Nann said...

I like the arrangement in the earlier quilt but would have to study the newer blocks more-- very dark? I set batik orphan blocks in columns. Here's a link: https://withstringsattached.blogspot.com/search/label/Spare%20Parts

Patty said...

I think orphan blocks can be a challenge. I know my brain tries to want to make them pretty and work together like l was making a quilt from scratch. That doesn’t always seem to work. Maybe the blocks will gel or maybe they will go back in the box to play with another time.

Barbara Anne said...

What delicious blocks to play with! Have fun - you cannot go wrong with anything you choose to do with them. No quilt police. :)

Hugs!